yellow and red admirals

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anna 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

pawhaoa
    Participant

I have planted a number of stinging nettle plants, these are growing successfully. In the past 6 months, I have received 2 dozen YA caterpillars, of which at least 6 have turned to yellow admiral butterflies and gone. They have returned from time to time, at least 2 at once, but I would like to access more yellow caterpillars for next season, so that I can consolidate the colony. We are one hour NE of Whangarei. I have bred and released many dozens of monarchs this year successfully. I would also like to start a Red admiral colony this next season, anyone tell me how to access these?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anna
    Participant

Pawhaoa, In spring I will probably have tons of Admiral caterpillars, (mainly yellows) and can send some to you if you like. You just need to pay for the fast  post and little box (about $6 all up)

Keep my contact details, and ask me closer to spring, if you don’t get any luck from anyone up your way.

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

Anna thankyou! I’ll be emailing you… 🙂

Anna
    Participant

Blueskybee…I have a lot of healthy  small nettle plants at the moment, and can send some to you if you like. They are Urtica urens. Both Yellow and Red admiral caterpillars love it.

email wordsfailme@xtra.co.nz

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

Pawhaoa, glad to hear you are seeing Admirals! Where did you manage to get hold of nettle from, I’d love to plant some here, but as yet have not been able to  source  any plants.

pawhaoa
    Participant

Hi Jane, Thanks for that info re. YA and RA. I only have one type of nettle, no idea what species, but the butterflies have been attracted to them. I do like your faith that the Reds will just turn up, if thats the case, then the mission is to plant more nettles. The pleasure of this is spotting a Yellow about 2 km away from our place in a very remote area by the sea, when I have never seen one in the 10 years we have lived here.

Jane
    Participant

Hi pawhaoa,

The fact that you have succeeded in growing a number of nettles is the main requirement. Plant nettles and they will come both Yellows and Red’s. Red’s tend to hang around native bush more, but thats not a hard and fast rule.  Both Reds and Yellows will be looking for nettles and if you had them this season, there will be overwintering individuals that will lay eggs. The larvae of both feed slowly through the winter and a new generation of Admirals should emerge in early spring and re-populate your plants.

Do you have more than one type of nettle growing?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.