wintering butterflys sleeping

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LeslieD 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

LeslieD
    Participant

So, I have two winter butterflys outside in a shelter. Both are fast asleep and the weather is gloomy, winds getting stronger and rain forecast … for the forseeable future. So, no point putting them in a less protected position to just sleep. Any idea how long they can just sleep without going out to nectar? I have a few more butterflys to come (hopefully). I had some in june last year but we had patches of sun for them.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

Hi Caryl, yes they both got away in perfect conditions this morning :). I have one chrysalid due to eclose late today or tomorrow, the weather forecast suggests that one will be a guest for a few days too lol. Apart from that I have a new chrysalid and a biggish caterpillar from two caterpillars I rescued from Jans place … where you dropped off some caterpillars once. Jan died earlier this year but there are still some seedling swannies there.
    The two I released today are both smallish but healthy and strong, unlike some of the late season ones I’ve had. Good luck with the rest of yours!

Caryl
    Participant

Any movement today from them Leslie? It’s sunny and warm enough for them to emerge and seek nectar. Good on you for having late butterflies. None of my late chrysalides have produced healthy butterflies yet I still have caterpillars outside eating my healthy plants, Caryl x

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.