Winter Flowers

This topic contains 21 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anna 8 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Can anyone help me with ideas for winter nectar flowers that I can put in my glass house or garden for butterflies? Native and non native

Angie

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anna
    Participant

Heck, after reading what Norm wrote…I’m glad I read this as its made me more aware of checking whether plants I buy to pot up for the butterflies have been sprayed or not!…It hadn’t even occurred to me till now.
    Is copper dangerous for them? (used to stop fungus)

I have purchased a few plants that people mightbe interested in that are full of nectar:
    1: Metrosideros fulgens – Autum flowering rata, climbing rata yellow-red flowers (this is just stunning)
    2: Hebe stricta car. Stricta – north island koromiko – butterflys took to this one within minutes of being introduced!
    3: Metrosideros perorata – sping flowering rata with white flowers

4: Artichoke – great for the garden and the bees and butterflys love!
    Angie

How long should the plants stay out of the butterfly house?
    Angie

margie
    Participant

Me to!!! I would love to see a photo of your butterfly house Norm as my husband is building me one this winter and any tips would be great:):):)
    Cheers Margie

HeatherCrofskey
    Participant

Thank you Gill for the info and offer for cuttings. Will do as you advise.

Gilly
    Participant

Heather -Senecio might be a bit big for a pot but it hasn’t self seeded in my garden… I’d just tuck it somewhere out of sight :)I could send you a cutting if you want and the Tagates one. Email me direct if you want some 🙂

Sorry about your hebes/butterflies Norm 🙁

Norm that is terrible, but thanks for posting. I had purchased yesterday “hebe champagne” a long flowering one that just had one flower open but many to come and put it in the glass house about 6pm, last night when i read your message went out and removed it just in case!. Thanks so much, and so sorry for your loss.

Will be interesting to see what you find out from the garden center.

Would also love to see some pics of your butterfly house or how you do things.
    Angie

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Jacqui, I put the potted Hebe’s out the back and gave them a good hosing, and will let the rain flush them for a time as well.

Jacqui

Good heavens, Norm! That’s bad news. At the trade day yesterday we talked with several people about the perils of spraying and what it’s doing to our insects. It was really great meeting face-to-face with management – if you try and talk with them at their retail point, they’er always “too busy”.

So – did the Hebes become “safe” in the end? I have two Hebes here now, I think I’ll plant them in my garden… and hope it rains and washes them well.

J.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Reading Jacqui’s Forum prompted me to record my recent experience. The flowering plants in my Butterfly house were dwindling so I bought 2 intensely flowering Hebe’s from the garden centre, 1 purple and 1 pink, just the ticket for my Yellow admirals.
    They loved it . Next day I noticed 2 butterflies a bit wonkie, kept falling over and not able to fly properly. They died late afternoon, and I went on a spider hunt within the b/house, as I figured maybe they had been bitten by a spider. No spiders found. Next day 3 more succumbed , and the only thing different was the Hebe’s. So out they came and hey – no more problems. I think it is fairly safe to assume the Hebe’s had been sprayed, like reports of the milkweeds also. I intend to go back and query the nursery, as it may be affecting bee’s as well.
    Norm.

Jacqui

See Beverley’s post on Caryopteris clandonensis elsewhere.

Jacqui

Jacqui

I have just returned from a Horticultural Trade Day and brought back two beautiful Hebes – they were released to the market yesterday – both have glorious flowers so I hope will also flower for a long period – they’re just coming into flower now. When I get back down to Ground Level I will list here the names of them. (I’m still unpacking my car…)

Also Beverley came away with a plant that looks like it will be good value for nectar too. Will ask her to contribute the information here.

Jacqui

HeatherCrofskey
    Participant

Hi Gill, do you think we could grow Senecio petasitis in a pot to keep DoC happy? Finding good nectar plants for winter is a mission. The wind is my worst enemy during the cold months I have to say. Would like some of the above to try? Many thanks for the info Gill.

HeatherCrofskey
    Participant

Hi Norm, thank you so much!

Gilly
    Participant

Two winter flowerers – Senecio petasitis (velvet groundsel) – yellow flowers the butterflies love but DoC does not 🙂
    Tagetes – perennial marigold but my mainstay for winter feeding for the butterflies and the birds is Callistemon (bottlebrush)… marvellous tree – almost in constant flower up here in the far north.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Hi Heather, waiting at the moment for some cuttings to strike. Norm.

margie
    Participant

Cheers I need to get my hands on some Buddleia’s some of the ones you mentioned I already have but didn’t realise they were nectar plants like the sweet peas I have a fence covered in them also I grow a lot of carnations & primulas.
    Margie

HeatherCrofskey
    Participant

Bottle brush is said to be good for Winter. I have “Tom Thumb” in a tub.If we can get hold of the winter flowering Buddleia salvifolia would be great.Norm Twigge has a plant near his home. Left a message on the Buddleia forum for Norm.
    I have a very old Yates Garden Guide which has a section for winter flowering ideas.(early autumn sown it says)
    Ageratum,alyssum,calendula,carnation,chrysanthemums, cornflowers,polyanthus,poppies (Iceland)sweetpeas,violas,wallflowers, primulas, etc. 35 different
    Of course it will depend on where you live! Coastal North Taranaki has pockets of almost frost-free areas.
    Hope that helps.

margie
    Participant

Cheers for that wings1 a great help:)
    Margie

Pseudopanax arboreus – Five Finger this is a great one for the butterflies

Hebe stricta – Koromiko great summer flowers. a must for any butterfly garden.

Pomaderris kumeraho – Kumarahou – spring flowers

Disphyma australe – Nz Ice Plant

Parsonsia heterophylla – Nzjasmine butterflies love this!

Vitex lucens – Puriri -Great coastal tree that has flowers all year round.

Olearia cheesemanii – Streamside Daisy – amazing flowers, spring bees and butterflies love!

not winter ones, but good butterlfy plants. wouldlove help with winter plants.

margie
    Participant

Yes Angie I need to plant some to, would also love some ideas for winter and summer
    Cheers Margie

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.