Will late cats survive outside

• Creator
    Topic

JacquieH
    Participant

I have 12 very young caterpillars on plants outside under the eaves. Would they survive as butterflies if I bring them inside as I have a castle and plants? I know monarchs hibernate our Christchurch winter so would I release them after they hatch?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

clinton9
    Participant

These monarch butterflies lives in coastal towns in Christchruch, because of pine trees and evergreen trees and so near to beaches, plus sea breezes had kept the monarch butterflies alive during April to September.
    They roost in pine trees and trees with dense evergreen leaves.

But Christchuch do have heavy snows during June to October, this killed some Monarch butterflies.

Monarch butterflies will become migratory if winters too cold for them in Christchruch.

JacquieH
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, I was worried if I take them and the swan plants inside that the butterflies would not survive being released but I may take them into the warm house. I have noticed that they are very sluggish with the cold even though they are in a porch and they are not eating much – I might regret this if they perk up LOL. I recently bought the largest “castle” so I have room for several plants that have recovered from the last batch of caterpillars.

Jacqui

Hello Jacquie

Funnily enough, I’ve just put together an FAQ about this very thing because we get asked so much.

“It’s too cold/wet/stormy…”

My thoughts are that your caterpillars are more likely to survive if you can make the conditions less threatening. What I mean is that they are unlikely to survive the winter because of things like wind, snow frost and rain. Putting them in the warmest place (if you can) will certainly increase their chances. This may be indoors in a sunny, pesticide-free room, on a branch of a swan plant, or you may be able to move a potted swan plant to a sunnier location.

The chrysalis also can be kept indoors in the sunniest and warmest location you can think of. Then let the butterfly go (as per the FAQ) on a sunny, calm day. It will soon get the message that it’s winter and not the best time to be doing what butterflies do in the summer.

Hope that’s helpful. Look around the forum as there have been many suggestions as to what people do with late caterpillars.

Cheers

Jacqui

Butternut
    Participant

“>https://www.monarch.org.nz/2010/08/16/victoria-park-christchurch/

This was in 2010 – can anyone verify that this still happens in Christchurch?

Butternut
    Participant

Hi JacquieH – I think monarchs do survive in Christchurch and can be seen overwintering in some of the parks. Check out this site: http://resources.ccc.govt.nz/files/MonarchButterflies-environmentecology.pdf. I’m sure Jacqui could fill us in.

I live in Mosgiel and am facing the same dilemma. I have caterpillars that are taking there sweet time growing because of our cold weather of late. I have some inside and six that live under my verandah on the porch who have never been inside. (I am hoping to acclimatise them to our weather so they won’t die of shock if they ever turn into butterflies).

I will tag them and hopefully they will turn up somewhere and we can see if they can infact survive in our cold south or whether they fly somewhere warmer for the winter.

I think next year I will concentrate on the Red and Yellow admirals as they live down here naturally. Although the Monarchs are truly magnificent to see I feel cruel raising them only to have them freeze to death.

clinton9
    Participant

No, these caterpillars cannot surivie outdoor in Chrishchruch…heavy frosts kills caterpillars between 1st April to 1st September in Christchruch.

adult Monarch Butterflies are summertime migrants to South Island and they either migrate to North Island or coastal towns in northern South Island, to spend winter hibernating.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.