where are the wasps?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  judi 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

judi
    Participant

…not that Im complaining:-) maybe spotted one only in a week. Im in the Waitaks and last year swarming with them. plenty of bees – yay. mystery or someone has an answer?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

judi
    Participant

had lazy wasps in October, 1st batch of caterpillars came inside. now theyre safe?devouring the swan plants outside – so, in fact the wasps came early then left…left the preying to the praying mantis – a huge plant full of caterpillars to munch on…heaven…until I spotted it & spoiled all its fun 🙁

judi
    Participant

LeslieD – 15 stings! cant imagine the pain – one only bee sting was my threshold reached..then managed a wasp sting (for comparison..all in the name of science study) Bee hurt more at the time but wasp was longer lasting. as a child mum would wrap chopped onion around it – how bizarre, but it soothed. no horse steroid cream on hand! 🙂 yes,interesting about the weather..maybe the wasps are still wrapped in their merino, as I am in the hills of auckland…judi

mattie
    Participant

I’m in Auckland and have lost one caterpiller to a wasp. It was on the netting about to turn into a chrysalis but not the same problem as last year so far. Have now bought many inside to keep an eye on them.

LeslieD
    Participant

I suspect the weather both inhibits their breeding cycle and their supply of food. Certainly the weather has impacted the lifecycle of the butterflys here in Welly. We have less of every insect this year. But I don’t miss the wasps! I got chased inside from the top of the garden last year and sported about 15 stings, lucky I’d had an antihistamine and had some steroid cream I use on the horse lol.

TgaLiz
    Participant

Some in the Tauranga area – not as many as last year, but some around. I’ve killed a few and destroyed some beginning nests but still enough that I have to pick branches with eggs on and bring them inside to grow and change to chrysalises.

Leeanne51
    Participant

I am in South Auckland near the airport and I have only seen a couple wasps and only in the last few days.
    Not complaining either. But was wondering the same thing.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.