WHAT WILL IT BE? CONTEST

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

We have a beautiful picture book to give away. We will be doing a lucky draw on 16 December. The book is called WHAT WILL IT BE? Just wait and see!

Book Cover

I always get excited when I come across a new book to inspire young children about butterflies. Children have so many questions and I love seeing their curiousity piqued. So when I read this new book from Shiree Schumacher, I was delighted.

Pip is given a plant with a tiny egg on its leaf. Once it hatches it keeps growing and changing. As you turn the pages, you wonder what it could be (of course we know!) but the rhymes and easy-to-read large font make it ideal for grandparents or parents or older siblings to read to pre-schoolers and younger children. It perfectly illustrates the metamorphosis of a monarch in a very charming way.

As a teaching tool, it offers starter material for inquiry topics on insects, butterfly metamorphosis, the different ways in which insects, birds, reptiles and mammals are born or hatch, and the importance of pollinators to the environment. There is good information on the life cycle of the monarch butterfly and tips on how to care for them too. And it’s a New Zealand book!

Publisher – Illo Books
    Author – Shiree Schumacher
    Format – Paperback
    Price – $20 postage paid from the MBNZT shop
    ISBN – 9780473491291
    Size – 210 x 285 mm
    Pages – 32
    Weight – 169g
    Illustrations and text – Shiree Schumacher
    Category – Children’s picture book (2-6)
    Publication date – 4 November 2019

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dragonqueen
    Participant

I would read this book to my six grandchildren, the older ones of whom are starting to share my fascination with Monarch butterflies. The older ones are also just learning to read, so this would be a lovely way to help them.

Aurora
    Participant

Hello. I would read this beautiful book to my daughter. She is interested in everything I do in the garden and adores the butterflies. She loves reading and would treasure this book.

Alison Horn
    Participant

I would love to read this book to my Grandson in Germany, I have been reading to him via face time since he was 3, he is now almost ten. When we are not reading he takes the iPad outside and shows me the garden.
    Alison (Aligran)

shazza
    Participant

I would read this book to my 2 1/2 year old niece and we would have a great time. What a great book – thanks Shiree Schumacher.

janelle bell
    Participant

hi team, my daughter and i katy would love a copy of this book.
    katy is an all round bug lover (except for those pesky paper wasps) she is passionate about all nature and id like to read this book to her and further educate her.
    yesterday she found a medium-sized brown moth. it was happy to crawl on her hands and arms without flying off and she said to me, “mummy look how beautiful he is”.
    katy is 3.5 yrs

Fusionbabe
    Participant

I recently became a grandmother and now have a lovely little granddaughter. My children were brought up with a swan plant garden and all the other insects that come with it and I would like to introduce Monarchs and the insect world to the next generation and this looks a wonderful book to start with.

Speers
    Participant

I would read it to my class. We have learnt about the butterfly life cycle and grown butterfly friendly plants this year so this would bring all their learning together nicely!

Jopicton
    Participant

I would be reading this to my four monarch mad kids, who will take it to their school and share it with their teachers and school mates who have caught monarch madness too. I will also take it to the Kindergarten where I work and read it with the monarch mad children there too. Overall, our community who are interested in and curious about monarchs will benefit from this lovely book and I ultimately the monarch butterflies of Picton will benefit too as we will learn about them and promote their survival.

Susanneca
    Participant

I would love to win this book. I’d read it to my kids and also bring it in to Playcentre to read to the kids there. Our Playcentre recently visited West Lynn Gardens so got out The Very Hungry Caterpillar from the library and have been doing butterfly and caterpillar art. A new book on this topic
    would be fantastic. The kids at centre all love insects and love to search for bugs. They enjoyed seeing the caterpillars and butterflies at West Lynn Gardens.

Sweetbelle
    Participant

What a wonderful prize for anyone of us to win. Thanks for the chance to win.

butterflymusketeers
    Participant

I would love to win this book so I can show this book to all the schools I teach around the country. Looks amazing can’t wait to read it!

Pamela Moresby
    Participant

This is beautiful I would have it for me but I know some people that I could lend it to.
    Any child could have this story read to them ….

monkey
    Participant

I would be delighted to read it to my great grandchildren, but still better I would like to see it go to ‘Jennifer’ who would give it to the refugee families she supports

Jennifer
    Participant

The Syrian refugee family I have been supporting have 2 children, one 3¾, the other 15 months. I am so strongly attached to them and they to me. They won’t listen to Arabic material on YouTube and although their parents are reasonably capable at English, they struggle to read to their children in English and don’t have access to Arabic books. They are deliberately using Arabic at home as they know this is the best way to develop language for their children. The children thirst for books but they need practice. What better way to do this and show them more about the natural world? I try to do this for them when I am with them as their parents of course do not know the contents of NZ’s natural world. The children love knowing about flowers, butterflies and birds, the things they have met most. Support some refugees!

poplarpark
    Participant

I have three beautiful little grand daughters in Australia. They usually visit in the Summer months when the butterflies are hatching from their chrysalis. They absolutely love the whole procedure and as I release them by hand from my green house where they keep safe from the predators, they take turns in letting the butterflies sit on their hand before release.. They are right into Nature and Science and would absolutely love this book.. They all read really well, so I’m sure they would read it to each other..

Melle81
    Participant

Hi, I would read the book to my children, who are 5 and 2 years old. Last year we had the first time 5 mornarch butterflies in our garden. And the kids got so excited watching the caterpillars eating and then hatching. This year they planted the Swan plant from seeds and we have been planting lots of flowers. Hopefully we will have this amazing experience again. The book would be a great addition. Thanks for the chance to enter. Melanie

EmerandLuke
    Participant

As a relief teacher at several ECE centres where we have established swan plant/wild flower gardens for our monarchs and bumble and honey bees, I would add it to my personal relievers kite of resources that I share with Children teachers and parents. I had a swanplant grove outside our bay window and from a very early age, my son was captivated by the life-cycle of the monarch and I can still remember the first time we spent whole days watching through the window at the different stages of the egg laying, egg hatching, the caterpillar turning into the crysallis, checking the changing colour regularly and then the incredible miracle of the gradual emergence of the monarch and the beauty of it gradually unfolding and drying its wings in the sun. We also had a lot of paper wasps in the area and Luke would hunt out the nests as a 3yr old and had his own fly swat by the front door to go out and kill them when trying to attack the caterpillars. He knew the difference between the bees and wasps and learnt that wasps were not native to NZ and indeed a pest just like the possum and I still wish that wasps were offically declared a pest. In the ECE centres I choose to work at, the teachers are like-minded and there is a new wave of eco warriors coming through those centres with a sincere philosophy of sustainability.

Aimzlt
    Participant

I would read this to my cousins children- one of them (Mr almost 2) had monarchs last year. And also to my friends children that I love reading stories to, they love butterflies

jo
    Participant

JoJo I would give this book to my baby granddaughter Sylvie who at 15 months already will bring a book for you to read to her. I will be teaching her about butterflies and monarchs when she comes to stay with me.

DomehomeDee
    Participant

I have two grand-daughters I’d like to read this to. One is 11 and she is interested in helping me with my online seed business. I sell quite a few Asclepias, also Gomphocarpus and Tweedias. I sell flower seeds from many places in the U.S.A., kind of a joint venture with several other home growers. I have a butterfly garden and get monarchs and other butterflies yearly. The other grand-daughter is 6 years old and a little scared of insects. I would like to share with her the joys of nature, especially butterflies and bugs. Both of these kids love to read, the little one is just starting to learn and it is clear she will be a good reader. In these times where there so much entertainment for kids inside we need to inspire them to go outside and explore nature.

Tracey Richard
    Participant

My daughter, Isla is 3&1/2 she loves nature especially butterflies and ladybirds. She helped me plant our wildlife garden. I would love to read this book to her.

yvonnemcgillan
    Participant

I would share this with the class of five year olds that I help out in, next year. Their teacher starts the year off with a small swan plant with an egg, or small caterpillar, for each child. When their monarch butterfly flies off, they take their plant home.

Katieellen
    Participant

My two wee ones are fascinated by the life cycle of the Monarch butterfly. We were given swan plant seeds as a gift and have been watching our swan plant grow over the last couple of years. Last season the children helped me tag and take care of many Monarchs and I still cannot get over the joy the whole process bought to our family and friends. This season we plan to share the joy with my daughters school so this book would be a great teaching tool to share everything we have come to learn about the beautiful Monarch butterfly! 😍

Mummybear
    Participant

I would read this to my eldest daughter. We have a neighbor who has a lot of swan plants so she spends a lot of time watching the caterpillar to butterfly process. She’s such a gentle soul who also nurses the damaged monarchs – including when she found some at her daycare. She is also an avid reader and I’d love to keep her interest in her butterflies going.

Chris G
    Participant

I would share this book with families who come to our B&B and enjoy observing the wonder of the Monarch life-cycle in the safety of a mosquito net, in our garden. I would also take it to our monthly Cambridge Trash & treasure market, where I sell many many plants, including nectar & swan plants for butterflies (at very reasonable prices!) In the season, i always take a large Swan plant with various stages of the life-cycle on it, (eggs, small, medium & large caterpillars & cacoons) for people to observe. This beautiful book would be a perfect addition to help people understand the lifecycle!

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.