WHAT WILL IT BE? CONTEST

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

We have a beautiful picture book to give away. We will be doing a lucky draw on 16 December. The book is called WHAT WILL IT BE? Just wait and see!

Book Cover

I always get excited when I come across a new book to inspire young children about butterflies. Children have so many questions and I love seeing their curiousity piqued. So when I read this new book from Shiree Schumacher, I was delighted.

Pip is given a plant with a tiny egg on its leaf. Once it hatches it keeps growing and changing. As you turn the pages, you wonder what it could be (of course we know!) but the rhymes and easy-to-read large font make it ideal for grandparents or parents or older siblings to read to pre-schoolers and younger children. It perfectly illustrates the metamorphosis of a monarch in a very charming way.

As a teaching tool, it offers starter material for inquiry topics on insects, butterfly metamorphosis, the different ways in which insects, birds, reptiles and mammals are born or hatch, and the importance of pollinators to the environment. There is good information on the life cycle of the monarch butterfly and tips on how to care for them too. And it’s a New Zealand book!

Publisher – Illo Books
    Author – Shiree Schumacher
    Format – Paperback
    Price – $20 postage paid from the MBNZT shop
    ISBN – 9780473491291
    Size – 210 x 285 mm
    Pages – 32
    Weight – 169g
    Illustrations and text – Shiree Schumacher
    Category – Children’s picture book (2-6)
    Publication date – 4 November 2019

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Congratulations Katieellen – your name was drawn out in the lucky draw and the book is on its way to you in Dunedin. Enjoy, and a very Merry Christmas to you and all the unsuccessful entrants

Jacqui

LindaJones
    Participant

I would read this beautiful book to my five year old daughter. She just loves books and loves butterflies!! I know it would become one of her favourites to read over and over!!

LouiseC
    Participant

I am the weekend matron at a boys boarding school. Their ages range from 5 – 13. I often read to them at bedtime, especially the younger boys. These boys are who I would read this wonderful book too.

noeleen80
    Participant

I am trying to enter contest. My grandchildren recently moved to the country for sake of fathers health. I have bought packets of Yates seeds of ‘Butterfly Field’ so they can attract butterflies to their new home. Book would be most welcome.

Ruthie
    Participant

I would read it to my friend’s children who are just starting to get an appreciation for all the little creatures around them. I know this book would really inspire them to want to learn more about monarch butterflies. Thanks!

VPS
    Participant

This beautiful book would go into your library to be read to and by all children. I would also use it, along with other teachers in the school, when looking into butterflies and other parts of our environment.

Lynn
    Participant

I would read it to my 5 year old cousin who loves non fiction books about plants and animals. Lynn

annikolff
    Participant

This would be a perfect book to read to my class who have been doing and enquiry into bees. This book would help us to look wider at mini-beasts and the importance of growing flowers in our gardens. I would also share it with the children in my after school programme. I think it would be a lovely book to read to my great nieces. So many children would love it. What a great way to spend time with children and to go out and explore the garden. Anni Kolff

annikolff
    Participant

This would be a perfect book to read to my class who have been doing and enquiry into bees. This book would help us to look wider at mini-beasts and the importance of growing flowers in our gardens. I would also share it with the children in my after school programme. I think it would be a lovely book to read to my great nieces. So many children would love it. What a great way to spend time with children and to go out and explore the garden.

RataRua
    Participant

Kia Ora,

I would read it to my class of 5year olds at the beginning of the school year, when we are observing the monarch butterfly life cycle in our shared space of four classes.
    Our school is developing a butterfly garden. Last year we sprinkled a bee and butterfly plant mix on one of our gardens and it has sprouted again this year.
    We also tagged butterflies for the first time ever, after they had emerged from the chrysalis.
    I would donate the book to our block library, as a yearly resource.
    Thank you for the opportunity to enter the competition.

Arohanui
    Carol

daisydollface
    Participant

I would read this to my 4yo son, he is LOVING books at the moment & it’s always a lovely time for us to sit together so I can read to him (I hope he will remember it as fondly as I do 🙂

cruzey
    Participant

Kia ora! If I was to win this lovely book, I would donate it to the Blind Foundation Youth Library at BLENNZ Homai Campus so it could be made into a tactile/braille book for our ākonga who are blind or have low vision.

shanteze
    Participant

I would read it to my darling 18 month old grandson, Niko, he loves studying things very closely and is a very serious lad. His parents are very eco conscious people and encourage his love of nature every chance they get. It would be perfect for him 💓

caroldee
    Participant

This gorgeous looking book is obviously intended for children and there are some really deserving winners on here.
    But as I don’t have any children to read it to if it was suitable I would read it to some of the old folk at the local resthome, (some of whom are almost childlike bless them), they have swan plants growing in the gardens and as I am the visiting “crazy butterfly lady” would kind of make sense!

bwilson
    Participant

My three year old grandson Rarua is fascinated in the process of the monarch butterfly. Last year it was the highlight of visiting Nana and Grandad…this year is proving to be no different! Way down here in Mosgiel we have caterpillars already..how lucky are we…reading is important and we love doing this together so another book to our collection would be so nice. Good luck to us….Nana and Rarua

tabbycat
    Participant

I would love to read this book to my Grandchildren. I am encouraging them to grow swan plant and watch the caterpillars and Monarch butterflies.

Dragonqueen
    Participant

I would read this book to my six grandchildren, the older ones of whom are starting to share my fascination with Monarch butterflies. The older ones are also just learning to read, so this would be a lovely way to help them.

Aurora
    Participant

Hello. I would read this beautiful book to my daughter. She is interested in everything I do in the garden and adores the butterflies. She loves reading and would treasure this book.

Alison Horn
    Participant

I would love to read this book to my Grandson in Germany, I have been reading to him via face time since he was 3, he is now almost ten. When we are not reading he takes the iPad outside and shows me the garden.
    Alison (Aligran)

shazza
    Participant

I would read this book to my 2 1/2 year old niece and we would have a great time. What a great book – thanks Shiree Schumacher.

janelle bell
    Participant

hi team, my daughter and i katy would love a copy of this book.
    katy is an all round bug lover (except for those pesky paper wasps) she is passionate about all nature and id like to read this book to her and further educate her.
    yesterday she found a medium-sized brown moth. it was happy to crawl on her hands and arms without flying off and she said to me, “mummy look how beautiful he is”.
    katy is 3.5 yrs

Fusionbabe
    Participant

I recently became a grandmother and now have a lovely little granddaughter. My children were brought up with a swan plant garden and all the other insects that come with it and I would like to introduce Monarchs and the insect world to the next generation and this looks a wonderful book to start with.

Speers
    Participant

I would read it to my class. We have learnt about the butterfly life cycle and grown butterfly friendly plants this year so this would bring all their learning together nicely!

Jopicton
    Participant

I would be reading this to my four monarch mad kids, who will take it to their school and share it with their teachers and school mates who have caught monarch madness too. I will also take it to the Kindergarten where I work and read it with the monarch mad children there too. Overall, our community who are interested in and curious about monarchs will benefit from this lovely book and I ultimately the monarch butterflies of Picton will benefit too as we will learn about them and promote their survival.

Susanneca
    Participant

I would love to win this book. I’d read it to my kids and also bring it in to Playcentre to read to the kids there. Our Playcentre recently visited West Lynn Gardens so got out The Very Hungry Caterpillar from the library and have been doing butterfly and caterpillar art. A new book on this topic
    would be fantastic. The kids at centre all love insects and love to search for bugs. They enjoyed seeing the caterpillars and butterflies at West Lynn Gardens.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘WHAT WILL IT BE? CONTEST’ is closed to new replies.