What to do with dying swan plants

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

I started out this season with hundreds of swan plants being grown for the “bumper crop” of caterpillars I planned to take to the NZ Flower and Garden Show.

The monarchs never came and laid eggs. I scraped together a few caterpillars (thanks to those who donated same) and those plants with caterpillars on went to the show.

So, in December I had hundreds of plants in pots, all congregated together on my concrete drive. Stupid! Too many of one thing means that anything that attacks them will have a field day. So the aphids did. A few ladybirds came, the Aphidius colemanii didn’t ever get on top of the aphid problem. Sooty mould set in and the plants, the strongest plants, started dropping like flies.

I thought I’d leave everything until I came back from my trip and now, what to do? Most of the plants will go into the compost (?) but I don’t want to waste the soil, otherwise good potting mix and compost. If it is a bacteria, or virus that they have, how can I reuse the soil?

All thoughts welcome.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Great stuff Leslie – I had almost decided to do something similar. I’m wrapping the potting mix up in a plastic tarp adn leaving it in the sun. Hopefully the heat will kill any bugs. Then I’ll add my compost to it before using it again.

Thanks again.

LeslieD
    Participant

http://tipnut.com/sterilize-soil/

might be more stuff to find online too.

LeslieD
    Participant

perhaps use the mix in a contained garden to grow something else? … hot steam should kill bacteria and viruses but be difficult unless you have the gear. I seem to recall there is a product that sterilizes soil too but can’t remember what it is .. i’ll go google :). But growing a totally different crop might work without any effort especially if you do have a contained garden area already.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.