Urtica australis seeds wanted

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Charlotte 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Participant

Does anyone have/know where I can get some of these nettle seeds? I know Oratia Nurseries sell the plants, but I’d rather have seeds…

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Thomas,

Robert does have Urtica urens and ferox seed if you would like to buy some. The link is below.
    We brought australis plants off him last year and they were great.
    http://support.nzbutterfly.info/

Jane
    Participant

I posted some to Thomas the other day so they should arrive any time soon.

Jacqui

I bought plants off him and they were great too. You can search for his listings in TradeMe, or even put a “save this seller” on him, nzbutterflyinfo.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=3129553

Don’t forget to look out for our listings too (although none for U. australis – we sell U. incisa). Would sell U. australis if we had it.

http://trade.me/butterflytrust

Pepetuna
    Participant

Actually, I should have said that the Yellow Admiral butterflies APPEAR to prefer to oviposit on the Urtica urens in my garden…it may be some other factor that they find attractive, such as taller plants.

I have looked up my Trademe purchase. It was last October, and the seeds were really good; I think they must have all come up!
    The seller is Robert who does the nzbutterflyinfo pages.

Pepetuna
    Participant

I got Urtica australis seeds at the beginning of the season (last spring) on Trademe. I had a look and they are not listed at the moment, but anyone looking to grow these for rearing Admirals might try Trademe next spring.

As Jane says, the leaves are much bigger, and I find them the best for rearing caterpillars. My caterpillars seem to prefer it too – if both U. urens and U. australis are available, they will eat the U. australis in preference. Oddly enough the Yellow Admiral butterflies prefer to lay eggs on the U. urens if both are available.

Jane
    Participant

Hi Thomas,

They differ, but all have large leaves which are excellent for feeding caterpillars. The plants tend to be squat in stature at around 50cm tall, sprawling in habit to about 50-60cm across. If you cut them back to near the base they will re-sprout more shoots. Tending towards perennial here if the roots are protected – not much leaf in the winter, but bursting into life in the early spring and still going strong now (Jan)

Urtica australis

Participant

YES! Thank you so much! That would be perfect. Do they still grow around the same height and stay green through winter? I don’t mind if they are crosses. Thanks again! 🙂

Jane
    Participant

Hi Thomas,

I have seeds, BUT, they may be crosses between urtica australis and other urtica. Because I grow a number of urtica, I am finding many crosses in my garden. The U. australis seedlings and crosses are very useful for feeding caterpillars because the leaves are larger than u. urens or u. incisa, and are less fiddly to deal with when trying to clean out/transfer tiny caterpillars.

If you give your address to Jacqui, I will post you some if you like, BUT, you are very likely to have some crosses among them. If wanting pure u. australis, best to get them from Oratia.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.