Update for Jacqui (do you breed monsters up there?)

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Swansong
    Participant

Well Jacqui the tally was 7 all up. Narry an egg to be seen anywhere. Im sorry to say 2 pillars didnt make it, and theres still 2 others that are mucking around and mucking around. One day they’ll decide they might eat a bit and the next they just park up or go AWOL. Weird. Theyre 5th instars and things are so slow with them I dont know if they’ll make it either. The weather is so weird theyre probably suffering from shock treatment or something, or maybe they didnt like the trip down?.

The 3 chrysalis’ are fine and a huge boy hatched on the 2nd Jan. He would be the one of the biggest if not THE biggest butterfly we’ve ever seen! We tried to measure him (of course he wasnt impressed) and he was easily 4 1/2 inches across the wingspan. He’s still parked up and Im not releasing him until we get a little sanity with our weather.

Swansong

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Swansong
    Participant

Well Jacqui, the 2nd and 3rd Chrysalis have hatched. A Booooy and a gal. Today we actually have had NO WIND so far, and its 11.30a.m ….gosh must be a record for this year!

Anyway, its nice and warm and looks good for tomorrow too, so Ive put them in the netted area with the swanplants and hope they will "get ideas" : ). Tomorrow it will freedom freedom if the weather holds up.

Hopefully I'll get a few eggs but I dont want too many.

Bernie
    Participant

Sending livestock through the post can prove difficult and expensive, especially here in GB! I thought it may be helpful if I post a few of the ways that it is done here.

I have sent Jacqui a pic which hopefully she will post but if not, I will have a go myself.

I will start off by explaining the cheapest way to send eggs but if anyone is interested,I will move on to sending cats and live butterflies as well.

Using nail scissors, the eggs can be cut still attached to small pieces of leaf and placed in uncrushable bits of plastic tube. Larger eggs, such as hawk moths or even monarchs can be gently rolled off the leaf using a moistened finger. Be sure to put some leaf in the tube to feed any early emerging cats. Both ends of the tube are sealed with tissue or cotton wool which are taped in place and the tube is then taped to a piece of paper such as the back of an enclosed letter.

The pic should make any uncertainties clear.

Hope this is useful to you.

Bernie F.

Anonymous
    Inactive

SpotOn is available quite cheaply in supermarkets, Johnny – I wouldn't use it on my hairy friends (dogs) – but surely will for this bait.

Oh, Ok Jacqui – you know I am data purity freak and I rather thought logging these early taggings would skew your data.
    They are being registered as 2010 taggings – I just looked.

Is there information somewhere that monarch numbers were low last season?
    Tagging numbers and monarch numbers are not the same.

Trisha

Jacqui

SpotOn is a pesticide that one puts on the back of dogs' and cats' necks to kill fleas.

Trisha, new tags need to be used when we start tagging for real with this next overwintering group. The reason is that the glue on the backs only has a shelf-life of twelve months, so any tags that were made the previous year may not last on the butterflies' wings throughout the overwintering period.

Otherwise there's no rule as to when tags have to be used up by, so there's no harm done, just so long as we start each year with the next series. It would be good practice for when we begin in earnest – and there were tags to spare last year as the numbers of Monarchs were unexpectedly low.

Monarchs that are around or being tagged now are unlikely to form part of any overwintering generation.

Jacqui

happyjohnny
    Participant

That's a great idea with the wasp baits Blutterfy…

but pardon my ignorance, what exactly is spot-on?

I'd love to set some traps up myself… sure beats manually killing all the wasps I see… only to find them replaced a few moments later.

Anonymous
    Inactive

That's a great, simple recipe, Blutterfys.
    Will surely try it, thanks.

Oh – using old tags? Are you logging them into the MBNZT database?
    That used to be a problem – but maybe rules have changed.
    My understanding when I did volunteer work last year was that the tagging was to try to monitor overwintering behaviours. Jacqui used to get most upset when peeps used old tags.

Good luck
    Trisha

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Blutterfy,

Thanks for the neat tip on using mincemeat and spot on.
    Will try this for sure.

You have given me an idea to use my old tags. Hope Ms Jacqui is ok with this? LOL

Cheers
    Char

Jane
    Participant

Hi Patz,

Using up old tags from last year.

To bait wasps (because you can’t find the nest)

Mix up some mincemeat or catfood about 2 tblsp with the contents of 1 tube of ‘spot-on’

Put into a bottle (I use a plastic milk bottle) and hang from a tree or fence where wasps have been seen foraging. If the wasps are looking for protien, they will keenly gather this and take it back to the nest where it will slowly poison off the individuals that come into contact with it.

Hang the bottle by its handle so that not too much rain will enter. Check and refresh whenever necessary as the contents will tend to dry out in the heat.

Swansong
    Participant

Well indeed there was a little sanity this avo and so I thought it best to send the Big Boy on his way. It was still a little breezy and the wind caught him a bit and he was off toward the Ruahines. Hope he does well.

Photo here

Photo of Big Boy

Couldnt get one of him stretched right out. Too naughty. Being that big he could do what he liked : ).

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like a wonderful specimen of a boy, Swansong. Neat.
    Look forward to the photo.

Oh, Blutterfys, how do you do the meat and SpotOn bait?
    That sounds interesting (and easy). Not many wasps up here though, bless. Butthey can all go.

Are you tagging already down there?
    I’ve not seen anything about tagging recently except on a newsfeed today that tagging might not go ahead this year?
    Can’t remember where it came from, but was quoting Jacqui.
    Will look it out.

Best
    Trisha

Jane
    Participant

Hi swansong and others,

That big fella sounds amazing. A local man dropped off 12 huge pillars a while back and have had 3 hatch so far with more looking like very soon, and one of my own (the only survivor from earlier batch) – all are females.

Today we have a break in the howling gales so here goes…tag and release : ) Maybe they will hook up with the big fella if he’s out and about today too.

Also the egglaying from about 2 weeks ago are now all small caterpillars and are surviving ourdoors despite the prevalence of wasps here. The wasps seem to have stopped taking protein and are on the prowl for wood now…nest building a bad sign. I’ve put out some meat bait with ‘Spot-on’ on it for them to take back to the nest, but this year they are ignoring it. However they are for now leaving the caterpillars alone. When the pillars are big I will bring them indoors as I had done with the big pillars that are now hatching out…very successful doing it that way…and they are captive to be tagged too…very convenient : 0

Jean
    Participant

Hi butter(f) nuts!
    Long quiet from this neck of the woods but at last some eggs! About 15 on a bucket of plants (BOP) now transferred to the shade house and 2 more BOP outside and waiting. A very late start here, new plants are finally forging ahead.
    I reckon your northern b’flies won’t be in the Chathams – strong SW winds we’ve had most days will blow them all back to about Napier!?
    We’re all on butterfly watch here in Brightwater to make the most of what could be a short summer.
    Regards, JR

Swansong
    Participant

Yes Ive got a photo of him, and will upload to Jacqui. My big boy now has “stiff front legs” like they are tucked up and he doesnt want to lengthen them out, so Im trying a bit of “physiotherapy”. Heres hoping. Its so bloomn useless this weather that he should have been out and on his way doing waht butterflies do. However me thinx he’d be hard pushed to find a lady love at this rate. As Blutterfy says theyd all be on Chatham islands : (. So my only other option is to wait for my 1 of 2 other chrysalis to hatch and hope its a girl. Looks like one is slightly colouring up this a.m.

Regards
    Swansong

Charlotte
    Participant

Sounds like an impressive male Monarch Swansong?
    Would love it if you could get a pic of him;-))
    Do hope you get a female emerge and then you can have plenty of Monarchs.

Cheers
    Char

Jacqui

Sorry to hear the weather’s been so bad down there.

Sounds like those Monarchs have got a mind of their own eh?

Hope when they do get out and about they stick around and make more butterflies for you.

Jacqui

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.