Two " Black ''Chrysalis' not emerging

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

GaynorTait
    Participant

For at least three weeks I have watched and waited for these two Chrysalis’ to emerge into beautiful butterflies….. but no, they are still just hanging, obviously with dead butterflies inside. What do any of you do, ? In the past I have left them, but should I remove them ?? I have 9 other chrysalis still green, 2 Caterpillars hanging and about 20 others still feeding on swan plants.
    Last week with the cold, wet cyclone weather, I really thought it would be the end of them all.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Nice one Rob!

rob cooper
    Participant

tell you a little story we had a puupa sit black for 3 days yea thought its dead, so thought put it in the bin,then i thought give this a try pulled it off the the ceiling, got a toothpic out and played with it where they hatch out from,well bugger me out comes the legs then its bum then wings stuck to pupa,so out with tweesres pull off the pupa it flew away about 4hrs later im think thats the highlite of our project this year never give up

GaynorTait
    Participant

Jacqui, Thank you for that. I will remove them tomorrow.

Jacqui

I just remove them, Gaynor, and dispose of them in the waste bin – keeping them well away from others when I do in case they could transmit a disease to other healthy caterpillars/pupae. So I hold them in a tissue and be careful not to hold too tight, as they sometimes burst and the putrid smell that is emitted… Not nice.

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.