Tweedia

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous

Hi,

I find the caterpillars will eat the flowers & young growth too. However I have had eggs laid on it & small caterpillars start off. But they don’t appear keen on the hair on the leaves.

However it looks great & is a good back-up plant to have. I should have seed soon, just waiting for the pods to open.

Robert.

Jane
    Participant

Thanks Norm. I grow Tweedia because I love the flower colour. Very few flowers have that shade of sky blue.

I have looked quite closely to see if the tweedia and G. currasavica are related botanically and it seems they aren’t, even though they have the same milky sap, and the same canoe shaped seed pods. I suspect it is the tomentose (hairiness) that would make them less palatable to a discerning pillar. . . .and understandably I guess.

NormTwigge
    Participant

Most of the references state that Monarch caterpillars will
    generally only take the developing new shoots. I tried it several years ago with the same results.
    Because it is so slow in growing it is probably better to stick with the milkweeds.

Jane
    Participant

I have Tweedia growing in the butterfly garden. It is very beautiful, but very slow growing, and despite having it growing here for several years now have never seen a monarch or caterpillar anywhere near it. Have others seen monarchs laying eggs on it, or seen pillers on tweedia?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.