Tweedia

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 5 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Raine
    Participant

I read with interest regarding the introduction of another form of Tweedia.

I would be concerned about planting this in any garden, as we have such a different growing climate in NZ some of these species can become rampant and problematic.
    SURE lets grow something to feed the butterflies, however unless we know the full growing conditions we may end up with yet another plant pest.

WE have so many flowers to choose from without adding something like this to our gardens.
    If we are to have our best foot forward lets choose heritage and heirloom varieties of plants. Ones that have a decent amount of food to nurture the butterflies.

I can not recall where, but it is known that hybrid plants do not contain sufficient food to sustain butterflies, they need to feed on far more flowering plants to generate energy, but at the same time using energy to do so.
    WE must question, the continued importation of plant species that have already proven to become problems.

Agapanthus for instance the bunching heavy clumping plant that stops other plants from growing in the same space. Seed dispersed on the wind, introduce mini agapanthus, same still applies. Heavy clump forming and seed dispersal on the wind.
    This plant Tweedia will do the same, is is a climbing vine like the Moth plant, and it’s seed cpasule will do the same, explode and blow on the wind to grow elsewhere. I am just issuing a warning to think before you plant.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Tweedia has been in NZ for many years – it’s a very old-fashioned plant. The seed which we are giving away is from an old variety whereas most seed that you can buy in packets (in NZ) or the plants are very weak and hard to germinate/sustain.

While I respect what you have to say, I don’t think you have to worry about Tweedia. And the MBNZT would never import seed – firstly the requirements to do so are very stringent and costly, and secondly it’s not what we’re about. But we can at least share plants that aren’t pest species in NZ and are already showing that they’re good for butterflies/moths.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.