Trim wings?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LeslieD 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

LeslieD
    Participant

I had a surprise this morning. A butterfly had emerged I was not expecting, she had fallen to bottom of caterpillar castle and climbed the side but the very tips of her wings are bent … not a lot, but both have a small swing to the left at the tips. So, otherwise she is fit and healthy. Question … how much variation can they tolerate before it affects their flight? Is it best to leave a small imperfection as described or should I trim the very tips?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

okay so she was outside hanging in the cold sun so I got brave and grabbed a pair of scissors. I grabbed the wings together and carefully snipped the ends, they look pretty perfect! butterfly is acting a bit surprised but ok 🙂

LeslieD
    Participant

Thanks, so do I ‘cool her’ first? will a cold room do? do they bleed? she needs to have a few days getting cold tolerant anyway, so won’t be released today or tomorrow.

Jacqui

I suggest you trim the curve off. She will fly just fine. Make sure you do both wings together, so they’re even.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.