Transporting chrysalises on a car journey

• Creator
    Topic

Debbie
    Participant

Hi all,
    Firstly my apologies as I couldn’t see how to search for a forum topic on here so I may be repeating a previous topic. I will be moving home soon and I currently have 19 chrysalises hanging on my swan plants and on the butterfly cage and I am wondering if they will be OK to travel on a 30 minute car journey? – Fortunately, there will be no unsealed roads but just a few twists and turns! I am a ‘Monarch Guardian’ newbie so I’m still learning! Thanks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Debbie
    Participant

Thanks very much Jacqui that helps me to understand how to search the forum now! 🙂

Jacqui

About forum posts – there are hot tags to the right of this post (if you’re looking on a “big screen”. Otherwise, on a phone, the layout is accessed via a button at the top left-hand corner of your screen I think.

Click on the hot tag that is relevant to what you’re looking for and it will take you to a list of topics which have been thus tagged. For example click on aphids and it will take you to:

https://www.monarch.org.nz/forums/topic-tag/aphids/

Now, here’s where I do a cheat. If I wanted to see if there were any posts that had been tagged with “spray”, a tag that has been used but not often enough that it has become a HOT tag, I just go to the search bar, remove “aphids” and replace with “spray”.

Hope this helps. There is quite a lot of information already in the sticky posts at the top of the forum list. You might learn other tips by looking there. “Forums” are quite old technology and not many websites use them these days.

Debbie
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

Thank you for your advice and reassurance. Thank you also for the video – I didn’t realise that they could eclose lying down as I thought this could deform the wings or their growth. I will keep my fingers crossed they make their journey with no or minor mishaps! Could you tell me how do I search for topics in the forum as I can’t seem to locate a search box. Thanks very much for your help Jacqui.

Jacqui

Welcome, Debbie!

Your monarchs should be fine.

Any that you think might get knocked off in the move can be gently removed and can eclose lying down. To remove them, mist them so that the silk around the cremaster is damp and then after 30 seconds hold the chrysalis firmly but gently and tease it away from what it’s holding onto (leaf?). I then roll the silk between my fingers and fold it back upon itself close to the cremaster. You can either then put a pin into the “mat” of silk and rehang it, or let them eclose lying down as in the video here:

Video of monarchs eclosing lying down

I put mine very close to the edge so they can quickly climb up and the wings can expand. Hope that helps!

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.