Swan plants urgently needed in Eastbourne Lower Hutt

• Creator
    Topic

I bought a caterpillar house but now feel awful as I have a large number and I can’t get any more swan plants anywhere. Stock is non existent nearby and I’ve been told there is at least a week’s wait. Can anyone help or offer advice? I have put small slivers of pumpkin down but have four plants in there all stripped bare. They have not eaten the stems just the leaves. Any advice gratefully received.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

FiLeBeau
    Participant

I’m getting 120 swan plants from Bruce at the Plant Place in Hamilton
    They are 1.3m tall $6 each.
    If you are in the Wellington-Kapiti-Hutt the truck will be here on Wednesday 19 February 2020.
    Contact me if you want to place an order for plants. You’ll need to make a fair contribution for transport too.
    Fiona
    Ph 0275 217071

THank you. I managed to get some plants at California Garden centre – Mitre 10 and Palmers here had none at all and I also used slivers of pumpkin for the larger ones. I have 9 chrysalis now and 3 more caterpillars and I have given 6 to someone else who has plants so, fingers crossed. They actually bought small plants from Paraparaumu markets and they’ve grown into good and healthy plants.

THank you. Yes I missed the culling of the eggs stage! I bought one of the caterpillar castles and didn’t notice how many eggs were laid until too late. I got some plants at California Garden centre and also used slivers of pumpkin for the larger ones. I have 9 chrysalis now and 3 more caterpillars and I have given 6 to someone else who has plants so, fingers crossed. They actually bought small plants from Paraparaumu markets and they’ve grown into good and healthy plants.

Caryl
    Participant

Palmers Garden Centre in Miramar have some good ones. I would suggest you phone garden centres and ask. Twiglands in Johnsonville also had some. Caryl (Seatoun)

LeslieD
    Participant

mitre10 crofton downs had a lot of good plants last week. good luck! meantime cull any eggs and cover up the plants to save getting more. Pumpkin or cucumber is good for caterpillars just about to pupate i.e. very big caterpillers but no good for anything smaller.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.