Swan plant search

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Susan Edge 11 months, 1 week ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Susan Edge
    Participant

Hi – I am in Waipu with a large number of voracious caterpillars ready to J hang . My swan plant source has dwindled, and my own plants are still quite small. Does anyone have any unused plants in the northland area that I could take cuttings from, or is there another way I could obtain continued source of food ? There are many smaller ones lined up behind them . Would be happy to pay for courier if needed. Wasps are killing any eggs or larvae left outdoors already. Thanks – Sue.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Susan Edge
    Participant

Thanks so much Leslie D . Neighbourly actually has turned up one response which I will follow through in 2 days, but your reply means I can stop worrying about all the big ones next time I run out ! Such a relief as it’s day by day at the moment . Hopefully I will be better prepared for early arrivals next season !

LeslieD
    Participant

I had a caterpillar crisis last year and I resorted to the old cucumber and pumpkin solution for about 30 caterpillars. They were at the very last stage before J’ing and most of them fell on the cucumber and pumpkin when I put them in a caterpillar castle with cubes of the food. The odd one rejected it but I had enough plant to get those ones by. I wouldn’t do it except in a crisis but I have to say there were no more failures than seems usual i.e. about 2 died before eclosing. I kept what was left of my plants for the smaller caterpillars.

Susan Edge
    Participant

Hi Jacqui – thanks for reply. I have posted on Neighbourly, and this week there will be a classified in the local rag. I will keep you posted.

Jacqui

Hello Susan

I wonder if you have thought about putting a message on Neighbourly?

I don’t know of anyone near you who could help but email me privately in case I come up with an idea, jacqui@monarch.org.nz

Please let us know how you got on

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.