Swan plant rescue

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Many of you are crying out for swan plants and a North Island grower has generously offered a solution.

Bruce Sanson from The Plant Place in Hamilton has offered to make a trip next week as far south as Christchurch with a load of 1.2 to 1.5 metre swan plants, priced at $5 each. To make it worth his while, he will need to sell at least 600 of them. He could drop them off at points anywhere between Hamilton and Christchurch, of course.

Remember that there are potentially two more generations of monarch caterpillars to come this season – and each generation the number of monarchs increases hugely. If we provide plenty of food for them now, we have more monarchs overwintering…

Originally this offer was for financial members of the MBNZT but it is so generous, and this is what we are set up to do, that we are opening it to anyone… But please consider taking out a subscription to our magazine as a way of paying it forward. The more members we have, the more we can help NZ butterflies.

If you and your friends and colleagues are interested, please:

* contact your friends and others and see how many plants they would like,

* email brucesanson@hotmail.com with an indication of how many plants you would buy IF this trip goes ahead. He will need to know your location, quantity you can distribute, and phone numbers would be helpful too. You will be paying him cash on delivery.

Remember, this trip won’t happen if people want one or two – he needs to get a total order of 600 or so to cover his expenses – and you need to act quickly.

For more information email brucesanson@hotmail.com, SWAN PLANTS in the subject would be helpful too. Please don’t ask questions here that Bruce can answer as he is the one to ask! Just trying to offer a service to people who are desperate for plants and can’t access them.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous
    Participant

We have got another 100 swan plants arriving this Friday in Christchurch from Bruce, if anyone still has caterpillars and need more plants let me know. These plants are in slightly bigger bags ar 1- 1.2 metres tall and are $7 each. These will be the last plants arriving for the season.

Branson
    Participant

For u Wellington folk theres another 100 swan plants being dropped into yr city this week likely Thurs poss Fri at 2 addresses for pickup – first 1 at Churton Park Sandra 021485263 second address 188B Hanson St Berhampore Terina 021 170 6626. Both these ladies have generously offered to receive them for you to uplift from – please make it simple for them & uplift by end of weekend. $6/plant 1m-1.4m leafy as usual – pay directly into The Plant Place acc 06 0241 0181367 01 use yr name n number of plants as ref – if space put B for Berhampore or C for Churton so I know where to send them. Email response easier for me as u tell me what uve ordered. Its not easy for me doing this from a distance & I’m kind of expecting a mistake or 2 but to counteract that I’ll leave xtra plants with Terina at Berhampore to cover my proverbial – u’ll just have to go for a drive. Cheers Bruce The Plant PLace Hamilton……

Branson
    Participant

For u Chch folk we’re organising another 100 swan plants to Matts place at 76 Joy St this week – likely arriving Fri – or Monday latest. He has orders for 48 already but there are still limited spares at this stage. Call him to reserve 027 5555 257 but pay directly into The Plant Place acc 06 0241 0181367 01 ANZ with yr name n number of plants as ref. $7/plant coz slightly bigger pb6.5 planter bag is costing an xtra 50c cartage with Headfords. 1m-1.3m tall & a younger leafy grade. Cheers Bruce The Plant Place Hamilton 0274 821 124. Ps if u give Matt or myself yr email addresses I’ll bulk email u in spring so u can get some early big plants growing in yr garden for next summer…………

Branson
    Participant

After our setback last week its on for this week & 110 swan plants left The Plant Place in Hamilton yest morn arriving on a Headfords truck at Matts place in Shirley tomorro avo Thurs or Fri. There are 50 xtras for anyone to claim at $6-80 ea 1.2m tall & leafy & safe – call Matt 0275555257 to get some. Cheers Bruce 0274 821 124……..

Branson
    Participant

I find weve missed the truck for this week so this delivery is now delayed until either Fri next week or following Monday – at least it gives u all time to consider n contemplate. Meanwhile I’ll have to courier the 9 urgent plants n try 1 other trucking co. Back to u with detail once known…….

Branson
    Participant

Hey Christchurch were gathering orders to make it worthwhile to truck min 48 swan plants by truck into yr city at $6-80 or $7 ea for a 1m to 1.2m leafy plant being picked up tomorrow or Fri here in Hamilton n delivered to a central address Chch next Monday. Its a simple idea & I dnt have time & no need for lots of questions as I need to know yr numbers pronto to assemble in the morning Thurs. I just need yr number reqd n u can pay into my acc once notified n I’ll add all together for trucking. We may repeat in eg 2-3 weeks but this is a hurried gather up coz Matt needs plants quickly n he’ll be the pickup address to be notified. I prefer emailed responses so I can bulk email u the details brucesanson@hotmail.com – those of u following the forum will know me from my prev trip to deliver into yr city 2 weeks ago – this is not a scam. This time the price is made up of $5 per plant plus $1-80 cartage using Headfords Freight based in Oamaru area………..

Branson
    Participant

Thurs evening that is – having a senior moment……..

Branson
    Participant

I’m back with swan plants for u Wellington folk – $6 ea this time in pb8 (bigger planter bags) 2-3 plants ea bag generally more leaf – in Petone on The Esplanade waterfront opp Bay n Beach just like last time – afta delivering 100 to Adelaide Rd n working my way there thru traffic just like u. Hope to be there 5-6pm – then I’ll stay til dark. I’ll have change but try to bring exact cash. Not going on to Chch this time tho. My visits wont be this regular – Fri morn I uplift an eel & rush back to Hamilton with him in a heated aerated chilly bin – nice that the trip can be worthwhile both ways…… Bruce The Plant Place Hamilton 0274 821 124………..

rob cooper
    Participant

great stuff well done

sandaz
    Participant

If you ever make your way down to Wellington with another delivery Bruce, I’ll definitely be interested in getting some more plants off you.

Branson
    Participant

I have excellent news for anyone who missed my Petone delivery 10 days ago – another 100 swans are being delivered by truck into Wellington this coming week for 15 customers – apparently mostly ordered off 2 Neighbourly posts – so glad we have a budding system/pipeline going now – n we at The Plant Place have bagged another 1500 seedlings since I returned from that trip – a handy resource that were growing all over the soil at my growing block afta blowing everywhere last autumn – might have been sprayed out like weeds had this gud project not arisen this summer……..

Branson
    Participant

For u Chch enthusiasts I now have a quote from Headfords based in Morvern who will backload from Auckland 48 swan plants for $85 which is only $1-77 ea approx. The truck is long haul & a long truck with long trailer so cannot get in n out of eg a dead end street. If time allows they will stop in Chch to unload usually travelling back on a Friday. If they cant stop ie held up or whatever plants go thru to Morvern n then a small truck brings back to Chch on the following Monday. So if u need more plants u need to co ordinate with ea other under those parameters allowing up to a week for replenishing yr supply. 100 plants in one batch is $2-10 per plant. By courier its more like $10 a plant so u dnt want to go there unless u wealthy….

Susan Edge
    Participant

Oh – I live in Waipu , Northland..

Susan Edge
    Participant

Hi – I am hoping to raise and release 100 Monarchs indoors , as Paper Wasps are killing everything in the garden . I have 70 chrysalises so far, but still 100 caterpillars to go and food supplies are dwindling . Does anyone have branches / plants that are not required ? I’d be happy to pay for courier. Thanks , Susan .

Susan Edge
    Participant

Hi – I am hoping to raise and release 100 Monarchs indoors , as Paper Wasps are killing everything in the garden . I have 70 chrysalises so far, but still 100 caterpillars to go and food supplies are dwindling . Does anyone have branches / plants that are not required ? I’d be happy to pay for courier. Thanks , Susan .

Jacqui

Yes, great work Caryl and Bruce. I’m glad that we could make this happen. It was Bruce’s idea that we do it as a fundraiser for the MBNZT, but as we’re short of people and there’s so much to do (much more we’d like to do, too) I thought it was simpler just to put posts here and via social media.

Glad that there was such an uptake and it was worth everybody’s time. Such a gift for the monarch butterflies!

Please consider joining the MBNZT if you aren’t already a member. I know you’d love the magazines and it means we’ll be able to save more butterflies. It’s the butterflies that need our help!

It’s only $35 to get four magazines in the mail, or $25 to read them as a pdf. You can join here:

Join

You can see an old magazine here:

https://www.monarch.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ISSUE_18_SPRING-2016-HYPERLINKS.pdf

Absinthe
    Participant

I would also like to say thanks to Bruce and Caryl for arranging the swan plants delivery to Wellington this week. It was great to get some good-sized plants and very good price. I hope to keep some of mine aside under netting to get bigger for next season.

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you Bruce for making the effort to bring us swan plants down to Christchurch, the plants are awesome.

LeslieD
    Participant

thanks Caryl and oh durrrh thanks so much to Bruce … sorry Bruce :)my brain fade.

Caryl
    Participant

Leslie,so kind of you to recognise our service to monarchs and to those like you who are so dedicated. Caryl

LeslieD
    Participant

Fabulous plants thanks so much Rob … and thanks to Caryl for taking on the co-ordination for Welly 🙂

Sharryn
    Participant

Very excited to report that my swan plants from Bruce arrived this morning. They are all in flower and some even have seed pods! Thanks so much Bruce! I will have very happy caterpillars and butterflies.

Anonymous
    Participant

Thanks.

Branson
    Participant

13 Blair Ave Papanui that is……

Branson
    Participant

Ive emailed or texted every contact I have received for Christchurch & region – hope I havent missed anyone. I’ll be at 13 Blair Ave for the fish tank & will hang around that address dodging neighbours parking from 5ish til dark The fish tank loading may hold me up for 30 mins around 7pm but only 10-12 of u anyway. Ure looking for an old white Toyota van EQC191 (that’ll bring back memories wont it?) with caged trailer. Afta dark I’ll be at Papanui Court Motel 140 Main Rd & ure welcome to call me outside until say 11pm or again early Fri morn just locate me on cell 0274 821 124….

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.