Swan Plant Maintenance

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 1 year ago.

• Creator
    Topic

mikegjeff
    Participant

Hello,

Purchased 10 or so plants last year to survive the massive number of caterpillars I had. Near the end of the season I planted them outside, however I didn’t prepare them very well for winter. I lost 2 plants outright (brown/dry/dead) but the rest seem ok (green/bleeding white). My issue is that many of the leaves are yellowing and growth seems very stagnant, like they’re alive, but unable to grow.

My Plants

Question is, now that it’s spring should they have started growing a bit more vigorously? Should I cut them back to encourage them to start growing fresh, or leave them to sort themselves out?

Thanks
    Mike

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hello Mike – a lot depends on where you live, but I suggest that you prune them (reduce them by about 1/3) and feed them well – any compost or mulch will do. Don’t let them dry out.

The prunings can be put into a vase of water and often will strike roots. Make sure that you break up the bottom of each pruning, otherwise they can’t absorb water. You can either do this with a hammer or by making cuts up into the stem with scissors or pruners. About 1 inch should do it.

Good luck!

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.