Strawberry Tree

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

Just chatting with Gilly about my Anzac Day experience and she thought I should post what I found out that day. I was in the local gardens for the services and watching the monarchs as they took particular interest in a medium sized tree with tiny white bell shaped flowers and a strawberry like fruit. The butterflies were all over it. Turns out the tree is the Strawberry Tree (Arbutus Unedo) so if anyone wishes to feed the butteflies this is another to add to your list, I got mine today and it’s a perfect rainy day for planting.

Cheers

Judith

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

bevs
    Participant

I visited my son on Sunday and saw several strawberry trees hanging over the fence from his neighbour’s property. The tuis were having a lovely feed and one was so fat I thought it was a wood pigeon at first. I picked a small branch with fruit on it and brought it home to check it out on the Net. The trees can grow to 25 feet and will grow from cuttings so I intend to try and strike my piece. The ground was strewn with rotting fruit and it was a bit smelly! I did not see any Monarchs on it and have only just read Judith’s report but will be more observant in future. It is always great to hear of the Monarchs favourite nectar flowers. Cheers Beverley

Gilly
    Participant

If you see them for sale Jacqui, get two please 🙂

Shaun
    Participant

Thanks for the heads-up Judith. I’ll ask at my local garden center about it.

Jacqui

How wonderful, Judith! I’ll have to look out for this tree. Sounds beautiful.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.