Sprayed Swanplants

This topic contains 31 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Janis
    Participant

Goodmorning.  I went to 3 different outlets to buy s/plants in early November to transfer large cats to.  My supply was running out.  Both Evansdale and T&M Nurseries plants caused the cats to leak green liquid and die.  Zealandia plants were absolutely safe although more expensive.  Spoke to one outlet who rang supplier and were told “no way were their plants sprayed”.   But I suspect  seed was treated if that is possible!  Haven’t been back since so don’t know if things have changed.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Anonymous

We purchased a swan plant (evandale) from bunnings Naenae (lower hutt, wellington) a raised a happy bunch of caterpillars, no problems. but as they got bigger we ran out of plant so went to mitre10 mega Petone and got two Zealandia plant – assured that they hadnt been sprayed. our caterpillars (all but one) had lots of it but when we checked them in the morning, they were leaking green fluid and had fallen off. we moved them away and they are recovering (no more green much more active, some eating again). we returned the plants to mega and questioned whether they had been infact sprayed, and we are waiting for a call back. has anyone had any trouble this season with mega petone/zealandia plants in wellington? we purchased new ones today from california (lansdale) already with caterpillars and our original guys are happy eating it so heres hoping!

Janis
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,   Evandale Plant Production, Invercargill.  03 216 9815

Jacqui

Hi Anna

We know that sometimes different toxicity levels in plants means that they’re unpalatable to Monarchs. I think if an egg is laid and the caterpillar hatches on Plant A which has a much lesser toxicity in its leaves than Plant B, then the caterpillar will not transfer to Plant B. Similarly, a caterpillar that begins life on Plant B won’t necessary transfer to Plant A.

Probably what you’d find, if you had the time/money/inclination to do a chemical analysis of the leaves.

Jacqui

Anna
    Participant

Its funny… but I have one swan plant that the caterpillars are reluctant to eat, when they devour all others! This plant has been in the garden for a year and a half, so I wonder whats going on. It has broader, slightly lighter leaves than the rest, and Im not sure where I bought it from.

Just wondering if its a different type, and the “Sprayed ones” you may be talking about could be like this one???

Jacqui

Hi Janis – probably too late to phone you now, but I did email you this afternoon. Could you please email me the details.

Janis
    Participant

Hello Jacqui,  I have the Evandale no. as requested – shall I put it on Forum?  I will wait to hear from you.  Janis

Janis
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,   I told them and returned  a plant in November – they contacted Evandale  and were told there was NO sprays on plants.   Admittedly they did remove plants from shelves at that time.   But were obviously put back after speaking to Evandale – I’ll pop in tomorrow.

Jacqui

That’s not good, Janis – sorry to hear that. Please tell Bunnings of your experience. Could you find out contact details for Evandale, I would like to talk with them. Haven’t had much luck looking on the internet.

Janis
    Participant

I bought an Evandale   swanplant yesterday (Bunnings Gisborne) to test my cats on. But they wi ll not eat even when hungry so I put them on Zealandia plants and they are gobbling them up.

I planted   both Evandale and T&M Nurseries ( Warehouse  Gis) swanplants in early November   (when the cats were made sick) and these plants although they have grown, still won’t be eaten by the cats.  So whatever they have been treated with is still very strong!!   Zealandia are more expensive but totally reliable.

Janis
    Participant

In Gisborne Jacqui.

Jacqui

Hi Janis – whereabouts are you? This would help others in their search for safe plants.

Jacqui

Hello Wendy

Download the aphids leaflet which is under Pest Information, under the Projects tab. Hope that will help you.

Jacqui

Anonymous

is there any way to cope weith the influx of aphids that happens – even squashing them only deals to the then dead ones?
    And it is rather time comsuming!

ReneeFraser
    Participant

How annoying. Are there any organic sprays on the market? Something totally natural that is safe to use if you have kids? I know swan plants are already poisonous but I have never liked chemicals fullstop.

Anonymous

Hi again all.
    Hopefully my final update on this.
    Call from the manager of Zealandia and thought it went very well.
    He told me they are doing a recall of all plants from that batch and that he was saddened that there was such a mix up.
    The spray used has a 21 day stand down period and they were last sprayed 31/12/09 so were mistakenly sent out a week early.

Im happy with the outcome overall, but no spray would be better as always.

Jacqui

Hi Abbey

Phew! What a morning. Have just got off the phone from the manager at Mega and assured her that our organisation does not go around blacklisting anyone – nor would we discourage people from shopping there. But we are keen to get the message through that there are people buying plants from various garden centres and are (naturally) very unhappy when the plants have been sprayed.

Garden centres cannot always be confident their plants have not been sprayed – and neither can any grower that employs staff, for that matter… so in everyone's interests it would be great if we could encourage the hort. industry to not spray their swan plants with ANY pesticides and also encourage people to plant earlier (so they're not dependent on store-bought plants for food).

The manager (Karen) didn't know where this talk of "blacklisting" came from and I explained that's not what we're about.

Sounds like a great store – the gardening team are very keen on the environment and conservation. I hope we can work with them for the good of Monarch and our other butterflies in the future.

All's well that ends well, I hope! Thanks for your help, again, Abbey.

Anonymous

Hi again Jacqui,
    Sorry i was getting prank calls a while back so changed my number. My new one is (number deleted). Im a bit lost on where to update this And i wouldnt know how to call collect sorry. But you can call me anytime 🙂

Jacqui

Hi Abbey

Well, I'm sorry they said that to you, Abbey. I have been trying to contact you and would be grateful if you would phone me collect, 09 403 8543, or 0274 814 811.

I have been talking with them (as I have done in previous years with other garden centres) as what we're trying to achieve is to get the growers to realise that if they spray their plants then they should convey this information to the retailers. Ideally, we'd like to see no pesticides used – but this might be unrealistic at this stage. So I did contact the Mega Petone, did NOT complain but did have a productive conversation with them and am now waiting for their manager to phone me.

That really annoys me, that they gave you that impression. I will certainly convey my disappontment to the manager when she phones me – and I do hope you will get in touch with me too.

Jacqui

Anonymous

Ok so things progressed greatly today.
    I have just arrived home with 12 fresh unsprayed plants care of mega petone and they have removed the offending batch from sale.

This is awesome. But i feel muted by the fact that when i got there i was asked did YOU go to the Monarch butterfly society? and when i said yes, for advice…..they chimmed "you shouldnt have done that, its blacklisted us and damaged our reputation".

I feel like im 5 yrs old right now and just been told off for something norty.

Then i was thanked for complaining as they didnt know. Aparently i was their first complaint.

Swansong
    Participant

"guarantees that all goods sold are of acceptable quality within the terms of the Consumer Guarantees Act"

The popular ploy these days ranges from slippery to down right lies. Its not inconceivable to find them give lip service to "do the right thing" and then do the exact opposite. Even so called "respectable" stores are pushing the boundaries these days to see what they can get away with.

Anywayz, no matter how they word it does NOT in anyway contract them out of falling into line with what the Consumer Guarantee Act says. Swanplants are typically sold to feed caterpillars. They are not sold as some great show peice for your flower garden, in fact they are considered a weed or pest in some places. I could also hazard a guess that they would've had some ticket or advertising with the plant, and it would be something to do with Monarchs right? Even if they didnt, we all know why they are selling them.

They should give you your money back if you so desire this.

Swansong

Anonymous

Interesting point of note. : Your Mitre 10 supplier guarantees that all goods sold are of acceptable quality within the terms of the Consumer Guarantees Act and that the
    goods are fit for their intended use, acceptable in appearance and finish, free from minor defects (apart from those which are drawn to the
    attention of the consumer) and are safe and durable (as a reasonable consumer fully acquainted with the state and condition of the goods,
    including any hidden defects, would regard as acceptable).

Would the intended use not be as a food source for caterpillars. Safe and durable? Haha…..gotta love google

VickySteele
    Participant

Hmmm, thought it would be Zealandia. Be careful – contact sprays are usually called 1, or 3 day sprays. This refers to the withholding period for humans, so its longer for a caterpillar. If you're going to keep the plants, wash them a LOT.

Your caterpillars may be ok Abbey. Contact sprays kill on contact, so caterpillars usually get off the plants. They don't have to eat to get sick, but if they get off quickly they can often be ok. Hope so!

Jacqui

I hope that those two are okay, Abbey. Good on you for following up (some people don't like to do it). I'm going to send you a little something which will hopefully make up for the phone bill.

Do keep us informed.

Jacqui

Anonymous

Ok another update. I called Zealandia (in chch, im in welly ahhhhh *waits for phone bill*)…..They are looking into it from their end too and will call me back too. The man i spoke to said they only use contact sprays and will check who packed them, where from and how long they had been held for etc. So im just waiting for some contact now from either or. 🙂 On the bright side tho, one of the nearly dead caterpillars i transfered to a fresh plant (not sprayed) seems to be coping ok and we found another in the car, that must have been knocked off and not eaten much of the sprayed plants. hopefully it will be ok too.

VickySteele
    Participant

It depends on what spray was used as to how long it will be until the plants are ok. A surface spray might be gone in less than a week if the plant is washed daily, but something systemic (inside the plant) will make the plant deadly for maybe 8 weeks.

A friend of mine got sprayed plants from Mitre 10 Mega (ChCh) last year. One particular supplier (nationwide) was responsible. They been spoken to about it, so disappointing if it is them again.

You should get your money back. Plants seem to fall into a bit of a grey area when it comes to guarantees, unfortunately. At least they admitted it to you – that's one of the biggest battles. Now they should do the decent thing. I, for one, wouldn't want to keep those plants.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.