Sprayed plants – Mavrik

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  JacquieH 4 years, 8 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Miranda
    Participant

Hello. I just went to buy some plants from Mitre 10 (Takanini) and thought I would check whether they had been sprayed. Apparently they had recently been sprayed with Mavrik due to aphids. As far as I could work out from the brief conversation, they were sprayed at Mitre 10 (they are Zealandia plants which I think have been working to avoid spraying??).

Does anyone know if Mavrik is safe for caterpillars? It’s safe for bees once dry, but I would imagine that if it were safe for caterpillars then we would all be using it already.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies

JacquieH
    Participant

Oderings grow them in their own glasshouses and the assistant we spoke to at the Cashmere branch rang the Head Office and was assured NO sprays were used. As we have bought many, many milkweed plants last year from Oderings and from this branch, I think it may have been spray drift because we have been having so much wind in Christchurch for months now. I will be more diligent and wash any new plants I buy from now on, no matter what I am told.

Jacqui

JacquieH – did the plants come with growers’ labels on them?

Do you know who you spoke to at Oderings?

Hope you can help!

Jacqui

Barry
    Participant

Hi, I do not know specifically the life of MAVRIK, but I use TARGET and that has a two week “I’m not nice” period. After that butterflies and caterpillars will continue as before the spraying. I used this quite successfully to continue a sequence of lush plants for successive generations of lava. Read about MAVRIK and other pesticides. Some ‘down time’ should be tolerated for the greater good I believe. Barry P. Christchurch.

MAVRIK is “”Gentle on beneficial insects such as ladybirds and lacewings””
    http://www.yates.co.nz/products/pest-control/insects-concentrates/yates-mavrik-
    insect-and-mite-spray/

http://www.yates.com.au/products/pest-control/insects-concentrates/yates-mavrik-chewing-sucking-insect-killer/
    See that MAVRIK is a Contact base toxin from the natural Pyrethrum family.

This is a good document >> http://www.adama.com/new-zealand/en/Images/Mavrik%20Fact%20Sheet_tcm42-17285.pdf

Cheers. {BEP}.

Caryl
    Participant

I am so sorry this has happened. To avoid problems with sprayed plants
    I purchase them well before I need them, at least 2 weeks prior to letting caterpillars nibble on the leaves. Since I began this I have had no problems. I am in Wellington.

JacquieH
    Participant

Having a huge crop of caterpillars, I bought 10 extra plants from Oderings as I have had no problems in the past with plants from them. I had 20 “old” plants that I had nursed through the winter and 21 “new” plants that I had grown indoors from seed. As the old plants were all eaten I put half the cats on “my” seed grown plants and the rest on the Oderings plants. The ones on the Oderings plants all started acting strangely and persisted in falling off again and again and seem to writhe as in pain before dying. Went back to Oderings who replaced the plants but swore that they HAD NOT been sprayed. I washed these new plants in cold water this time just to be sure and they seem OK so far but just be careful even when buying from a trusted garden supplier.

Jacqui

That’s very sad, Judy. I’m sorry for you. Will contact you by email to see how we can help.

Jacqui

judymanderson
    Participant

I bought 8 large plants from my local nursery and talked to the lady that served me about the caterpillars however I didn’t ask directly if they were sprayed! I have dozens of plants spread around my garden that were being totally stripped so I spread the new plants beside these and let the caterpillars move onto them at will. I now have over 150 dead caterpillars and am devastated. Am going back to the nursery tomorrow to discuss with them

Jacqui

Good to hear, Miranda. It’s very frustrating… so easy for a staff member to tell you something like that – but very serious repercussions if the plants had been sprayed. So why did she/he say it at all? Weird!

Miranda
    Participant

Update: I went back today and asked when exactly the plants were sprayed (so I could be sure when 10 days had passed) and the lady from the gardening department told me that they definitely had not been sprayed and she wasn’t sure why I had been told otherwise. So, I’ve bought a bunch of plants. I will watch my caterpillars carefully just to be safe. The people in the gardening department were aware of the risk to butterflies and caterpillars if swan plants are sprayed so that’s good.

Jacqui

I have been in touch with the store manager (Ross Hearn) and asked them to put a sign up to alert their customers. I do hope that they follow through and avoid customers a lot of heartache.

Miranda
    Participant

Thanks carol and milkweed. Having had a bit more time to read up about mavrik, I see that the spray actually targets caterpillars. So I’m glad I didn’t buy the plants! Milkweed, you’re probably right that they would be okay in about 7 days since for most plants the instructions say to re-spray in 7-10 days but I don’t think I’m going to risk it!

I have plenty of plants already, but thought I could save myself some time by buying a few plants for the caterpillars I’m raising in a tent.

I just hope nobody else bought some plants for their caterpillars only to watch them die.

(Thanks Jacqui for editing the title for me! I shouldn’t post when I’m in a hurry).

milkweed
    Participant

Rinse (water) the leaves under cold water each day for a few days (7 days) to be extra sure first.

carols
    Participant

I don’t think Mavrik is at all safe for caterpillars, in fact it is called a “Chewing & sucking insect killer”
    Bees may be safe because they are going for the nectar in the flowers, whereas caterpillars are chewing the leaves.
    The plants may be safe after a few days, but I would be very cautious.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.