Sooty mould, white fly, aphids

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  poplarpark 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

poplarpark
    Participant

Good Morning. I have dozens of swan plants in a green house. It is Mesh all round with the heavy duty plastic zip up door at one end.. I thought there was plenty of ventilation, but with this awful wet, humid weather, the swan plants are starting to look sick. The white fly are now everywhere and although I’ve tried really hard to keep yellow aphids at bay by pinching them whenever I see them, they too are starting to multiply. The worst thing is… I now have sooty mould on the leaves.. I have caterpillars, big and little and chrysalis hanging.. Please.. what can I do.. I don’t want to lose all plants like I did last year.. Am I best to strip the green house of caterpillars and chrysalis and bring them into their mesh castles ( I have good feed in the garden to use for them) – What spray would be best to use in the green house to save the plants.. or is there something I can use without moving all the caterpillars etc.
    Any advice would be most welcome..
    (2) Also when do the paper wasp stop taking the caterpillars and turn to nectar for their food. If it’s soon, I could just put all caterpillars back onto outside swan plants.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies

poplarpark
    Participant

Thank you all for the advice given.. I will be trying the suggestions put forward. I do appreciate any input and think the Forum is a wonderful idea to glean and share information..

LeslieD
    Participant

I’ve only used it on empty plants as those were the ones I’ve had inside. I don’t believe it is harmful to caterpillars once dry but I’d be concerned the baking soda might burn them if sprayed on them. Maybe someone else can comment?

Caryl
    Participant

I tend not to water swan plants late in the day as mould can develop on plants with overnight wet leaves. Caryl

poplarpark
    Participant

Thank you so much LeslieD. Can i use this if caterpillars on the plants or does it harm them..appreciate all advice given..

LeslieD
    Participant

I’ve had great results keeping the mould at bay by using a spray made of sunlight soap and water and baking soda. baking soda is great for just about anything. I lost a lot of plants to mould last year before I found this spray.

poplarpark
    Participant

Oh thank you again, Jacqui.. I know I wrote to you last year regarding the loss of plants in the green house but I thought I was doing so well—then the WEATHER…amongst other things. I will perservere but it all happened so quickly.. I did do a pesticide spray well before the season started and that seemed to give the plants a real boost. Plus blood and bone.(or do you recommend another fertiliser that won’t taint the plants) Aaaahh the trials and tribulations of raising Monarchs.. Then this morning one flew into the house.. fluttered right above my head – did a circle of the living area and flew off out the door.. I just thought… well it’s all worth it.. gorgeous creatures…

Jacqui

Hi Poplar Park

About aphids and the other things that happen… best to read the “Aphids” help sheet under SPECIES / PESTS above. It’s all about understanding what’s going on.

I have posted separately about using Conqueror Oil for the first time this summer… think about that one.

I am not saying that what I suggest is “best”… there really is no best or worst way it’s all about understanding things and adapting to what’s going on for you, but I think I would take everything out of the greenhouse and cut those plants back, hose down everything well, put the stuff you want to get rid of straight into rubbish bags and into the rubbish…Oh and feed your plants well. Healthy plants are stronger and find it easier to fight against predators, parasites, diseases etc.

Remember, that TECHNICALLY speaking the monarch caterpillar is a predator of swan plants! If you have healthy plants, when the caterpillars are eating the leaves the swan plant will be “reacting” by growing more leaves… if it’s healthy.

Hope that helps. Remember… it’s all Nature at work. 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.