Second Try (North Shore – Auckland)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Am3thyst 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Am3thyst
    Participant

Hi all,

Just wanting to update you.

"Meta" still hasn’t hatched, has been dark for ages now, He/she has no fould smell, and I can still see some wing pattern inside. I will give Meta until monday, then use the freezing method.

I have 3 more batches on their way:

Batch #2:

A/B/C/D – A, B & C are pupated, and good looking chrysalis’. D will most likely pupate tomorrow (Friday 7th April).

Batch #3:

5 Caterpillars, of Medium, getting to Large size, possibly 3rd instar. Feeding on Milkweed leaves, and raw pumpkin.

Batch #4:

about 7? really tiny Caterpillars and an egg.

All of these batches are separated, in size order so there can be no cannabilism. Am hoping that I have no other problems such as Meta, I am thinking it was possibly OE that Meta got, as there was another caterpillar sick when Meta pupated.

Will let you all know how I go :)

Thanks for following!

Am3thyst

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Am3thyst
    Participant

Didn’t think about that, and school holidays kicked in last Monday I think, as we have had a tonne of kids coming into work to order food during the day..

Most of my larger caterpillars have not made it from lack of food… but I? could see what I can do for the little ones I still have.

Update:

Am letting my plants regenerate outside, still seeing some Monarchs… so am keeping watch on the plants, to check for eggs (will move these indoors if there are any)

Most of my larger caterpillars have not made it, they have starved due to no other food bar pumpkin (seems they went off it too..)

My smaller caterpillars seem to be doing alright (most are still eating the few milkweed leaves I put in for them.

As for the chrysalis’
    Meta was still black, upon checking closley, the Top part of Meta’s chrysalis wasall dried, Meta failed to emerge, more than two weeks after turning dark, then going black. (I disposed with my preferred method, the “Flushing” putting them in the toilet, and flushing it)

“C” and “D”
    “C” – where the darker split had been up the back it had gone very dark, and yesterday I noticed that the chrysalis being black, had changed to looking VERY sunken as well. Flushing was used.

“D” – Mottled brown and grey around the top of the chrysalis, dark black, with no wing pattern for the rest, some brown mottling on other areas, Have isolated thi chrysalis, to see what happens.. not sure that it is Tachnid, but not sure I want it with my other chrysalis’

“A” and “B”
    These guys are still going strong!!!!
    Perfect chrysalis’ and still looking their ‘normal’ colours… they pupated on the 5th, so should see some darkening shortly (next couple of days) and will let you know how they go.

———————–
    I have learnt lots from this so far, isolate, but wait on the chrysalis’ that you are not sure on.
    Make sure that you have enough food source for them (will definately remember this next year/later this year in summer)
    I will make sure next year that I bring them in as Eggs, so I can raise them, and I will try to focus on maybe 5 at a time, not more, I will leave the others on the plants too though.. just to see what happens.
    As I know I can always bring the chrysalis’ inside to eclose.

Later this year I will also look at getting one or two caterpillar castles for outside use.

Jacqui

Have you tried phoning your local school today? Most primary schools have swan plants and would accept your surplus caterpillars. If you focus on just one or two, you won’t need more food…

Just a thought.

Am3thyst
    Participant

Hi Jacqui – will have to pass on this option, as we are nearly out of petrol in my partners car (pay day is wednesday). Sorry about that.

Jacqui

Am3thyst – am I right in thinking you won’t have transport? You did ask me to get some plants for you – are you still interested in that? They would need to be collected from Blockhouse Bay. Phone me if you wish on 551 3383.

Am3thyst
    Participant

So many dying, the lack of milkweed is really affecting them. If anyone has milkweed, I have about $6 tomorrow which I can pay for plants. Would have to be before 3pm though. Thanks. I am in Auckland

Jacqui

No, you should not be worried. Worrying won’t help. It will do what it does.

I have had 14? emerge from their chrysalises today, and there has been a large variation in size. And a few haven’t made it… just like dogs, cats, and people too for that matter.

Hope that helps put your mind at rest.

Am3thyst
    Participant

Have decided and tried to put them all on pumpkin, I am at a loss to figure out what else to feed them, the babies (1st and 2nd instars) are all being fed on milkweed leaf, but, I have put some small (less then 2cm sq) pumpkin pieces in there for them, just incase.

One of my 5th instar desnt really want any pumpkin, and seems to be looking for a place to go and J, he is not very big however, and I was wondering if he does J, should I be worried. Are his chances at surviving and turning into a small butterfly likely at all?

I am off to work now, but afterwards I will try post some pictures up of all my containers of caterpillars, so everyone can have a better look at them.

Am3thyst
    Participant

Update ONE
    ———————–

Still no eclosion from Meta, still waiting those 2 more days until Monday, then I will assess again (and most likely euthinaze after checking the chrysalis in depth)
    —–
    Batch #2:

A/B/C/D are all now in their Chrysalis’, however upon moving them to a spot that is easier to see them in, I noticed C has a split in the chrysalis, no tachnid, as there is no brown colouration. What he looks like is normal Jade chrysalis, however, at the top (opposite side to the horizontal gold line) there is a slight vertical “split” which looks a darker green.

Any hope for C?
    —–
    Batch #3:
    The Medium caterpillars… 1 x 3rd instar, 3 x 4th instar and 2 x 5th instar (which I will move to another container this evening so that they can feed up and J properly)

I am having some quite major issues trying to source more intrim food to feed them with… so if anyone can offer free branches or something like that it would be fantastic. I have no money to keep buying more plants, and the plants I have are now stripped of leaves.
    —–
    Batch #4:
    8 caterpillars all up now… 7 x 1st instar, and 1 x 2nd instar
    —–
    Hope you are all having a great easter weekend!
    Am3thyst

Jacqui

Great work, Am3thyst. Great to hear you’re having fun with your Monarchs.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.