Protecting my caterpillars

• Creator
    Topic

georgiaeve
    Participant

Hi there!

I am new to the forum but an avid enthusiast and I need some help! I have quite a big swan plant with 7 very fat caterpillars on it currently – but the weather has gotten quite bad today! Iā€™m scared about the wind and the rain as the plant is usually quite sheltered by its being reached by this gale. When working on a a farm in Canada we quite successfully bought caterpillars inside to go into their chrysalis and then released them as butterflies – am I best to bring them inside to protect them from this weather or am I being paranoid and they will survive!
    Thanks!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

handling the caterpillars poses its own risks as does moving them to another plant. They can cope with short bursts of bad weather it just slows their development down. But it is good to have an indoor option for later or early in the season when it gets cooler and days are shorter. Similarly its nice to be able to contain the big caterpillars before they pupate, saves them wandering off up trees and lord knows where else :0

georgiaeve
    Participant

Would it be an option to get a potted swan plant that could be inside in good natural light during bad weather days?

LeslieD
    Participant

I think it depends how cold and how prolonged the storm is expected to be. I’m in Wellington and I bought in my more exposed chrysalids and especially the ones due to e-close yesterday, and covered over any J’s out there as well. The dining room table has two new butterflies under a cake cover this morning šŸ™‚
    I’ve left the caterpillars as they are reasonably sheltered and the storm is meant to abate this afternoon.
    But as it gets colder I’ll be putting the caterpillars under shelter in the hothouse or bringing them inside.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.