Project MonarchHealth

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Marigold 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Darren
    Participant

I’ve joined Project MonarchHealth (http://www.monarchparasites.org )and my sampling kit has just arrived.

Project MonarchHealth is a citizen-science survey of the occurrence of the protozoan parasite Ophryocystis elektroscirrha (OE), which parasitises monarch butterflies. It is run by the Odum School of Ecology at the University of Georgia.

The sampling kit is free, and includes stickers, index cards, and data sheets. Participants capture wild monarchs, use a sticker to sample the butterfly’s abdomen for OE spores, and then stick the sticker onto the index cards. Once completed the datasheets and index card are posted back to the University of Georgia, so it will cost me a little in postage.

The MonarchHealth team have developed an innovative way to automate spore counting using digital cameras and computer software.

Their main focus is in mapping the spread of OE across the USA, but I emailed them and asked if I could participate. They said:

Darren~

We’ll be happy to send you a starter kit of sampling supplies and materials. Our field crews have sampled wild butterflies in New Zealand several years ago and it would be great to expand our range.

Thank you for your interest–we’ll be sending out your kit shortly!

Team Monarch Health

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Marigold
    Participant

Good on you Darren, good luck. I have had a look at the website.
    Keep up with the good work you are doing for the Monarch.
    Cheers, Marigold

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.