Press Release – shortage of Monarchs

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Shirls 4 years, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

I have uploaded to our website a press release about the lack of Monarchs around.

Some of you might like to send it on to your local paper with additional comment as to your local experience – so be sure to say where you live if you do. Some papers only like to run a story if there’s local content.

The press release is here.

The research I refer to in the press release can be seen here

(I know what will happen if it is published… I will get phone calls, emails etc from people saying that they raised x Monarchs, x more than previous years… That always happens in some areas of course.)

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Shirls
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, I am actually going to Gallagher this afternoon!!
    My first butterfly hatched this morning, it’s too soon to tell but I think its a female.

Jacqui

Shirls… did I mention about Bruce at the Plant Place in the road that runs from Gallaghers in Kahikatea Drive back to the Lake? He is definitely Monarch friendly, has a great lot of plants there and will help you source more if he’s short at the retail outlet.

Jacqui

Shirls
    Participant

Come and have a look at my plants, there is no shortage of monarchs here! I have so many adult caterpillars and chrysalis that I have no idea how I am going to feed any of the babies that come from them!
    Liz my friend did come through, but we only found a dozen smaller cats that she took for her plants.
    This week I plan on going swan plant shopping; I need to get new plants in the ground soon, as I noticed 2 chrysalis about to open this evening.

Shirls
    Participant

Come and have a look at my plants, there is no shortage of monarchs here! I have so many adult caterpillars and chrysalis that I have no idea how I am going to feed any of the babies that come from them!
    Liz my friend did come through, but we only found a dozen smaller cats that she took for her plants.
    This week I plan on going swan plant shopping; I need to get new plants in the ground soon, as I noticed 2 chrysalis about to open this evening.

Jacqui

Another press release here sent out yesterday, and so far two interviews (Radio New Zealand and Radio Live) although I haven’t heard either of them.

SunLive (an independent BOP newspaper) has picked up the thread, great interview with Mary here (thanks Elizabeth for passing this on).

Gillian Eadie
    Participant

Finally I have five monarchs (and 10 more to come in a few days) but I only have those because when I saw a Monarch circling on September 21, I rushed to put some swan plants under cover to ‘save’ them from being eaten too early! All the outside eggs were devoured by wasps but the 14 that were already on the ‘saved’ plants are emerging healthy and hearty! So far they are all females so they have flown off looking for males ….

Charlotte
    Participant

I reckon. Here’s hoping we can get some through to butterflies and kick the season off.
    We really miss them in the gardens ;(

Jacqui

It’s much the same here, Charlotte. Extraordinary!

Charlotte
    Participant

In the last week I have only spotted ONE Monarch, and this was on Saturday afternoon around 1pm.
    We have had such glorious weather and usually you will see a few Monarch’s in the garden. Our plants have no eggs, and we found a few caterpillars so have rescued these to the butterfly house.
    Very different to last year at this time, as we had quite a few Monarch’s in the gardens, eggs and caterpillars.
    We have to rescue what we can now in order to get them through to a butterfly.

tramp
    Participant

For Early Butterflies
    I needed Monarchs for our Te Puna Spring Fling Sept. and the QuarryFest in Nov,so kept an eye out for monarchs coming into my garden in Tauranga and Te Puna Quarry Park and collected any eggs on leaves or swanplant tips and put up to 10-20 in a small take away plastic tray with lid,a slightly damp tissue on the bottom and leaves and tips on top with lid on.Keep in a warm place [not direct sun] hot water cupboard at night? check each day , remove moisture from lid and when you see frass you will have to clean out almost every day adding new food.

The new tips of your new and old swan plants need tipping, food for new caterpillars and good for your plants this will make the plants bush out and create a bushy plant, harder for wasps to find your caterpillars, if you put them outside or keep caterpillars as they grow in castles with a plant or cut stems put in boiling water for a few sec. then cold will last longer. Tramp

sonyamorris
    Participant

Wow it is nice press release.I read the press release and i got different information about the monarch.Many useful resources are available on the internet and custom essay writing service.I like your press release.

Jacqui

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11300026

Comments please…

We have received more sightings today from people who also confirm that wasps have eaten many of their caterpillars throughout the season.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.