Planting Day at Hillsborough Cemetery, Auckland

• Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

Special butterfly plants have been bought for planting around Hillsborough Cemetery, where you will find plenty of butterflies enjoying the sunshine on a summer’s day. So why not make it even more of a special place?

Meet in the cemetery car-park area at 2pm on Saturday 18 October. Plants and basic gear will be available but people are also welcome to bring their own gardening tools etc. Some basic refreshments will be provided.

The intention for this planting day is that it will be the first organised activity to build an active Friends of Hillsborough Cemetery group that can continue to care for this place rich in history. There will be discussion how this might work and further ideas on the day. If you are interested but cannot make it on Saturday please contact the Puketapapa Local Board on 367 4301 or puketapapalocalboard@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hello Lacey – will go and take a look later to see what can be done. I was there about two? weeks ago and there seemed to be nothing happening!!! Amazing how quickly things can change. An opportunity for people who “want” caterpillars to take some. I will post on https://www.facebook.com/MonarchMatchmaker/ as well.

lazzzy
    Participant

Hi Jacqui,

Happy New Year, I hope all is well 🙂

I live opposite Hillsborough Cemetery and have only just noticed the hundreds of swan plants there, it looks amazing! Currently there are thousands of caterpillars and I was wondering if you had been up lately to check it out. Also some plants have so many cats that they are bare, which would require the cats to walk a long way in some cases to the next plant, I was wondering if it was worthwhile transporting them…I know we aren’t supposed to…but thought I would check in with you. Happy to meet up one evening if you are 🙂 We have meet before many years ago.

Cheers, Lacey

Jacqui

Michael Wood of the Puketapapa Local Board (phone 620 9256 or 027 5471 926) advises that there will be “another session at the Hillsborough Cemetery on Sunday 23 November from about 2pm-4pm. We will likely focus on mulching the swan plants and giving them a good water if necessary. ”

I am still unwell so won’t be there.

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.