Palmerston North season

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Flutterby Monarchs
    Participant

Were visited by some very large Monarchs yesterday (2nd Oct), laying eggs. Very promising, these females were huge & in great condition. Nearly 6 weeks earlier than my first ones last year!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Swansong
    Participant

Hey Jane and Stefan….. maybe you guys would like to send some of your Red Addys packing over my way ;-))))…..

Jane
    Participant

Looks like an Admiral to me too :))))))))
    Jane

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s an admiral Stefan.
    Robert.

Swansong
    Participant

Hey Stefan, great pik. Yep that looks like an Addy Pillar to me. Doesnt look like a looper. All Admirals have those little spikes, but they can vary greatly in colour especially when they get bigger. Ive found the tiny ones are almost always a very dark and shiny-ish brown.

The Admirals are much harder than Monarchs to deal with as far as egg laying goes. Ive found the only way to keep things under control is to MAKE SURE I keep my plants covered and only let Mrs Addy have access for a short time, otherwise they’ll bone all your plants out, and then you end up with starving pillars. Yeah, same ol story.

…. unfortunately I didnt get a lot of choice though when I brought back some plants from the wild. They mustve had eggs on them already, coz I had between 70 to 80 chrysalides all attached inside an enclosure my hubby made. I still have over 1/2 of them to hatch yet. Only had one casualty so far, and theyve all been yellows so far.

Swansong

Jacqui

Your photo is here:

5mm long admiral caterpillar

Thanks for sharing, Stefan, you must have a great camera.

Jacqui

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui – I didn’t know that.

I have e-mailed through a photo of one of my caterpillars, hopefully someone can identify it as an admiral and that it is not a looper! As it is black I think it probably is an admiral.

It’s going to be a challenge to find enough food to sustain this first-generation. Once I get past that I should be okay as everything will be growing and I have my Caterpillar Castle to put them in so I don’t have to worry about where they’ve gone!

…Stefan

Jacqui

Admiral caterpillars are much loved by birds… so if your plants aren’t protected you might find the number goes down as the plants grow thinner and the birds can find them easier.

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Turns out I may have underestimated the likelihood of the admirals laying eggs!

Looks like I have at least 20 caterpillars and at least 40 plants, but not big enough to support that number of caterpillars. I had hoped they would wait a month or so and then my plants would’ve been big enough to sustain themselves.

Clearly, I’m still learning! 🙂

…Stefan

Stefan Olson
    Participant

I just saw the first my Yellow Admiral for the season. Let’s hope it?s not deciding to lay eggs – have loads of nettle plants, but that none big enough for a caterpillar yet. Unfortunately, I don’t really have any food for them at the moment, but shouldn’t be long

Jane
    Participant

Palmerston North. Today with some settled weather at last we have seen Monarchs nectaring on Echium and Buddleia auriculata, calendula and poppies. Today also sighted 3 Yellow Admirals and one Red Admiral. Looks like it may be a great season.

I was in Waikanae this this weekend up until this morning, and there are many Monarchs about down there nectaring and paying particular attention to a Mexican Orange blossom (Choisya ternata) ……..Jane

Stefan Olson
    Participant

Also in in Palmerston North. Today I discovered that I already have at least 1 Caterpillar.

There was a stupid Monarch laying eggs on my smallest Swan plants yesterday. Unfortunately, she was back today doing the same thing so I thought I’d better bring them inside and discovered that she (or other) had been back some time before because there is already a tiny Caterpillar there.

I’m not sure how many caterpillars my full size plants can cope with. I’m up to over 30 seedlings but they won’t be useful for another 2 to 3 months.

…Stefan

Jacqui

The ones that return are a duller orange, almost brown, with as you say – worn out wings, chunks out of them. So yours may have been a new season’s one. Wonderful!

judi
    Participant

Yes, I was amazed at how big the laying b’fly was yesterday flying around me – love hearing the flapping wings 🙂
    how do I know whether its a new season one? – it was in very good condition, not worn out wings with chunks out of them! Cats are thriving outside – they are not on the wasps’ diet list…yet

Jacqui

That’s fantsatic FlutterBy.

I think it’s going to be a great season.

Can you please report this into the database at http://www.mb.org.nz, it will be useful for our statistics.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.