Oregano flowers are a butterfly magnet

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  TgaLiz 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

TgaLiz
    Participant

When I saw the Painted Lady last week (not since unfortunately), the Monarchs were ignoring the oregano flowers, but now they have discovered them. Two elderly faded females actually seem to have taken up residence there, and are not happy when enthusiastic males disturb their peace! Also feeding happily are white butterflies and the little common blue.
    So if you have a sunny space anywhere, plant some oregano for you and the butterflies to enjoy. It’s quite happy without too much water, so great for those difficult dry spots.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

TgaLiz
    Participant

Very welcome Caryl. I’m still collecting lots more seed so I will send them to Jacqui for anyone else. I have found some seeds take a long time to germinate, so don’t give up if you don’t get much of a strike to start with. Just sow and ignore them until at least Christmas and you may be surprised!

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Liz, The package you sent to me has arrived. I am over the moon with excitement. They will be the ones I will germinate during the winter. Thank you so much.
    Caryl

TgaLiz
    Participant

Yes, fresh leaves for our pizza and pasta, and nectar filled flowers for the butterflies.

Caryl
    Participant

Elizabeth, I will plant some oregano. Thanks for sharing. I have some very battered monarchs in my garden and it’s hard to believe they got that way in about 5 weeks. Caryl

Errol
    Participant

Another use for Oregano, besides as a herb. Thanks for that Liz.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.