Oe (was Chrysalis not hatching)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 9 years ago.

• Creator
    Topic

DonQuigley
    Participant

I HAVE 40-50 CATERPILLARS HAPPILY GORGING SWAN PLANT AND OVER 20 CHRYSALIS ALL DYING, ASSUME COLD NIGHTS IN WHAKATANE,AM CONSIDERING,HEATING SHED HOUSING THEM, COULD BE EXPENSIVE BUT S THERE POINT IN HATCHING BUTTERFLIES INT COLD NIGHT CONDITIONS ?

THERE ARE STILL SEVERAL FLYING AROUND AND LAYING EGGS.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Have just uploaded a PowerPoint about Oe, you can find it here.

Oe (Ophryocystis elektroscirrha)

Jacqui

YOu're welcome, Janis. Good to hear. I've just finished putting together some notes for our site about Oe too.

J.

Janis
    Participant

Hello Jacqui, Good news! I have 2 healthy hatchings this p.m. which I have just tagged… They both look healthy. I have pulled out all the swanplants bar one, which is growing new leaves for my last 3 cats. The shade cloth used as a protection from predators, has been soaked in a solution, dried and put away. Feel much happier!! till have about 6 green healthy looking chrysalides which I am carefully monitoring. There is very good information on google about Oe. Thankyou for your help. Janis

Jacqui

When I got it some years ago, I threw out all my plants, washed everything down with bleach solution (can't remember the dilution but it's on that site) and started again with fresh plants. Some people remove the leaves with eggs on them and wash them with the bleach solution before the caterpillars emerge, that way you can break the Oe cycle. Probably most Monarchs have it (as it's quite natural) but when you have too many Monarchs (caterpillars) in cramped conditions, it can spread quite quickly.

Janis
    Participant

Hello Jacqui, Thank you for the instant response – this is the first I have heard of Oe and have just read the info on the site. I do have my swanplants altogether and some are covered with shade cloth hence the disease spreading. Things will have to be different next season. Thank you. Janis

Jacqui

Hmmm… that sounds suspiciously like Oe, I'm afraid Janis.

https://www.monarch.org.nz/forum/tags/oe

Janis
    Participant

Hello Jacqui, I am having the same problem as Don. The chrysalides are hanging as normal and beginning to turn black but then become a greyish colour and are found to be dead. I have 7 more that I am watching carefully and I have already discarded 6. Never had this happen ever and I have reared Monarchs for many years. I still have about 7 or 8 nice green healthy ones and one inside but I don't think it is the cold – too many are dying. Possibly a predator but have yet to discover what is happening.

Jacqui

It's not necessarily the cold, Don. How do you mean they are "dying"? What are the symptoms?

Having seen where you have your pupae, I wonder if there's something there that is affecting them. One member discovered hers were dying, and didn't realise why until she realised it had started since she replaced the chemical control which kills insects in the house – so perhaps you are working with something different in your workshop?

Could you could bring the pupae (chrysalides) into a room inside the house?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.