OE and Milkweed Victoria Australia

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  David 3 years, 10 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

roving_gypsy
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I recently purchased 3 Monarch chrysalises from a business in Melbourne Australia (I live there). The first to emerge couldn’t open its wings. After some research I learned about OE. I suspect at least one of the other 2 has it too.
    Is there a treatment/cure? Should I euthanise?
    Also, Milkweed is not sold here and I’m struggling to find the right variety in the wild. I’ve ordered some seeds but I’m keen to get an established plant ASAP!
    I’m keen to start a breeding program and would love some advice from experienced breeders. Thanks 😊
    Gypsy-Lea

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

David
    Participant

Roving Gypsy, We are in Mont Albert, fairly close by Melbourne standards. Give me a call 0420487178 please. I should think we will have half a dozen small swan [about 100mm high] plants for you. They will not be ready for cats until late summer at best and probably better to be kept on to be big plants for the following season.

roving_gypsy
    Participant

I’m in Croydon 3136

David
    Participant

Hi Roving Gypsy. I live in Melbourne and have some swan plant, including a couple of small self sown that are ok size for transplanting. Where in Vic are you?

roving_gypsy
    Participant

Oh and the reason I suspect the other one has it is that it has turned black and brown and green. It almost looks rotten. Not at all like the healthy one.

roving_gypsy
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.
    We don’t use any pesticides at home, other than snail bait which the chrysalises haven’t been near. Nor have they been near the plants the bait surrounds.
    I’ve contacted the breeder and she is going to send more.
    The third one looks ok. Fingers crossed.

Jacqui

Hi Roving Gypsy

The butterfly that couldn’t open its wings should definitely be euthanased. I am not sure why you suspect one of the other two has Oe, but there could be other causes.

I strongly suggest you go back to the person who sold you the pupae so that he or she knows that this has happened. Most people are responsible and will appreciate your communication.

A friend of mine was horrified when her monarchs emerged and were damaged and found out that it was the pesticide in her home that had probably done the damage!

Hope the others are okay.

Jacqui

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.