No monarchs seen yet

This topic contains 44 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Charlotte 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

kay2
    Participant

Finally a sunny windless day, maybe a monarch/s with show up today.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Well we have gone from “NO” Monarchs to two pairs of mating Monarchs in the gardens yesterday. A few Males flying around and a couple of females. The females that were flying around and being mated with were not mine, as none of the females had the little part of the tag I had placed on. So the numbers are building up 🙂

Whilst out driving today I also spotted 3 Monarchs fluttering across intersections, so this is good to see.

Butternut
    Participant

It has been so cold and miserable down here in Otago this spring/summer – My buddleia are just starting to flower now and finally had my first (very tatty) red admiral visit today. I have been checking the local park every nice day for weeks and am yet to see anything but Whites there too.

Jacqui

Horrible day here in Auckland today – some heavy showers but generally speaking not one you’d like to be out “doing the garden”. I was looking around the garden around about 5pm and blow me down, here’s a male Monarch flying around on patrol on the watch for any females. And on looking at one swan plant, there were two newly laid eggs!

This spring is incredible.

kay2
    Participant

No monarchs here yet and yes there is plenty of milkweed. weather isn’t great, so strange for hawkes bay. glad to hear people have sighted some in different areas

Charlotte
    Participant

I just place a small dab of bright colored nail polish on the hind wing, or I place a X through an old tag number or use the do not use tags at the top. I cut this tag in half and place that half on the wing 🙂

Caryl
    Participant

Hi Charlotte, Great news but it is concerning the lack of monarchs. Just checked my last year’s figures and I had had 89 new butterflies compared to 11 so far and all in the past week. Sunny yesterday and today and not a female seen. How do you mark them please? That’s a great idea. I have one right now in my lounge still with wet wings so I could mark her.

Charlotte
    Participant

Yipee finally we had 2 females laying madly in the gardens last Sunday.
    We were out at Narrow neck beach (Devonport) and spotted a Monarch and I said to Allan this could be it!! We may get home and find Monarchs in the garden.
    When we came home that afternoon I looked out the window and whoopee two Monarchs laying and fluttering around the garden. So out we went and followed them around for an hour collecting each egg they laid 😉
    With the warmer weather this did bring the females back to lay each day, so far we have gathered 36 eggs and have 36 baby caterpillars.
    We’ve released two female Monarchs and I have marked the two girls to see if they come back 🙂
    Great to get the story out there, but its the worst season we’ve experienced so far.
    So this season its going to be “get as many as we can through” 🙂

Jacqui

Charlotte’s in the Western Leader tonight talking about the lack of Monarchs:

http://westernleader.realviewdigital.com/?email-analytics=Western%20Leader#folio=6

milkweed
    Participant

I’ve got caterpillars galore all over my milkweed here in Marton so I’d expect a visit or 10 to Waipukarau by the monarchs fairly shortly I predict!
    Like Jacqui said, plant milkweed and they will indeed come!

Jacqui

Great work, Shirls. Disappointing, Kay. But they will come. Plant milkweed… THEY WILL COME! That’s the slogan they use in North America. I know if you’ve got swan plant, they will come.

kay2
    Participant

Still nothing here in Waipukurau, didn’t see one monarch in hastings or napier over the weekend at any of the parks either even though it was 30 degrees

Shirls
    Participant

We have had a few really hot and humid days here this week (Hamilton); I have successfully had 40 butterflies leave the nest! That is record for me! I had 16 on Monday morning, my plants were a mass of orange and black, just beautiful.
    I have found a few caterpillars of various sizes on the plants again, and we had a female laying eggs this week.
    Aphids are still a major problem, and I will continue to work on this! I picked up 2 new plants today from our local Bunnings, I have been told they are not sprayed, but I have left them in the rain as a precaution, before I plant them out.

Jacqui

Charlotte – how’s it going out there? I now have a few Monarchs flying around and laying eggs. Yeah!!!

Jacqui

TgaLiz
    Participant

Gorgeous sunny morning in Tauranga with no wind (at last!) and there she is – fresh new female laying on my giant swan plant. Now I just have to deal to any wasps, without damaging the many bees – honey and Bumble – also enjoying the masses of new flowers on the plant.

Caryl
    Participant

My first chrysalis (inside) produced a very healthy female monarch late yesterday afternoon. I released her this morning in the sun and she has flown. Noticed another couple of female monarchs laying eggs today and yesterday. I have 5 more chrysalises inside and a further 12 or so outside. Would love to know if others in Wellington have chrysalises, Caryl
    FYI Jacqui, my first monarch born last season was on 1 December and by the end of December 151 had eclosed. Certainly the number at the end of this month will be considerably less.

Kezzamenazza
    Participant

We are undated with Monarach caterpillars already here in Chch. The Swan Plants are tall and healthy and have planted Swan Plant cuttings with my class a few weeks ago, which are surviving the hard life as plants in a school garden.

I have tried to cover up some plants as reserve food but the erratic winds have blown my coverings off 2x.

Just wondering if aphids are on the plants can you still use soapy water without hurting/disturbing the caterpillars? Or perhaps there’s another suggestion suitable in a school. I have had kids on aphid squishing duty for consequences!! hehe 🙂

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kay2
    Participant

Summer day here, sunny, hot, windless, something is missing. No monarchs yet, no eggs on plants. Might have saved the buddleia though they are budding, pulled a lot of leaves off with the weevil on.

Gillian Eadie
    Participant

At last a Monarch flying around today! I have released 19 so far from the few plants I put under cover for safe-keeping (ha! the Monarch on September 21st beat me to it). However, I am glad she did because they are the only ones that survived the wasps. Here’s hoping she laid some eggs today.

Teresa G
    Participant

Female monarch busy in my garden now laying eggs. Three hatched during the week and immediately flew away, perhaps one has returned. She looks lovely and healthy. Located several more chrysalis yesterday so perhaps this is the start of many sightings.

susan
    Participant

I spotted a pristine female monarch in the garden yesterday – totally spoilt for choice in swan plants to lay her eggs on. Thanks must go someone with swan plants nearby as some of my dozen or so caterpillars (from a ragged female some weeks ago) are only just reaching chrysalis stage. Normally this time of the year is the main monarch raising time in our garden, before the wasps and aphids make their presence felt.

It certainly has been an unusual season so far – about 2 months ago the aphids looked like they were going to be as bad as ever. I culled a few badly affected plants and tipped the branches of less affected plants, leaving some with evidence of aphid mummies. Even so I really didn’t expect to win with the aphids, but amazingly, the parasitising wasps and the ladybirds are keeping aphid numbers nicely in check:)

And what’s happened to the paper wasps? I destroyed a few nests on swan plants early in the season, but there’s very few seen flying around – I even found an empty (abandoned?) nest. It looks like this season my yet be a good one, with healthy plants and fewer flying predators. I am a bit worried about the super proliferation of skinks though and will keep an eye on chrysalises near ground level!

Susan (Hibiscus Coast)

Chrisalis
    Participant

A scraggy last season female enjoying some sunshine by my gate today. There have been a few around. Probably ex my coffee table. Two chrysalises maturing in the garden where I put some fat cats, probably have some siblings near by.

Brought two eggs and a new cat in today, all I could find. Put a mantis in the conservatory to fatten up on my pests.

Shirls
    Participant

I have had another 7 beautiful, perfect butterflies over the last 3 days; but no new eggs or caterpillars. Let’s hope these ones come back!

Jacqui

Saw a copper out at Bethells yesterday! It was reported in to http://www.mb.org.nz – but there aren’t many sightings being reported – of any butterflies or moths. 🙁

Jacqui

Saw a copper out at Bethells yesterday! It was reported in to http://www.mb.org.nz – but there aren’t many sightings being reported – of any butterflies or moths. 🙁

carols
    Participant

I’m in the Henderson area and although I haven’t seen any Monarchs I recently discovered a “dumping” of eggs on one of my scrawny swan plants. These have all now grown and hatched in the safety of my castle and in the last 2 weeks I’ve released 16 Monarchs.

So there are butterflies out there, but I do wonder how much the strong winds have been affecting them.

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.