Newly emerged monarchs

• Creator
    Topic

klvz
    Participant

I am in Christchurch and I had 5 monarch butterflies emerge yesterday morning, not long after the rain set in and it hasn’t stopped. I have moved the butterflies out of the rain and into our shed with the door left open so they can get out but I’m now wondering if they are going to need to feed sometime soon. Apparently the rain could start to clear tomorrow but maybe not until Thursday so will they be ok if left alone or should I intervene with food?

I also have another 3 or 4 chrysalis that look ready for the butterflies to come out and my Dad told me they will wait until the rain has stopped. Anyone know if this is the case or should I be keeping an eye on them to, ready to move them?

Thanks Kristi.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LarryS
    Participant

On further digging in the Forum I found what we probably already knew in an answer from Caryl #38516 on 4 Apr. Luckily our 1st born-Fred-has rallied and flown off but Linda although flapping a lot just doesn’t have it in her to fly. Guess we’ll just bring her in tonight and hope for warm weather and she will perk up. I couldn’t find any info re possible foods etc. so I just put a bit of swan plant in her box. Open to any/all suggestions. Cheers

LarryS
    Participant

Jacqui-Ours is very similar problem to Kristi. We have two Monarchs that emerged at noon yesterday but seem very weak, and fall from the swan plant to the ground. I found one and kept in a large box with limb of plant over night and found his buddy this morning and have them re-perched on the plant outside in the sun. However they keep falling to the ground, unable to fly. What can we do to help them. Thanks

Jacqui

Hi Kristi – Monarchs have been fending for themselves for hundreds of years (at least) and they have endured all sorts of weather. They should be fine.

We should also remember that where there is “livestock” there is also “dead stock” – that every living thing must at some point die – and that death is an important part of Nature’s life cycle.

Now a Monarch will lay hundreds of eggs, and while we humans would like every one of those to become a beautiful butterfly it is unrealistic to expect that. The weak may succumb to disease or predators or the weather.

When we have put time and energy into fostering a Monarch butterfly, while it is hard for us to accept it is natural that it may not survive to reproduce and continue the species, not every one will… so do understand that is how Nature works.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

klvz
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui, I guess I just worry about all these things.
    I managed to take the butterflies out while it stopped raining yesterday and 3 of them flew away but I still have 2 and we are now on day 3 of no food, will they still be ok?
    Metservice has changed the forecast and we now have rain for the next 10 days, I was told they can’t fly in the rain?

Unfortunately all the other chrysalis (about 20 or so) are outside in the elements as the setup we have involved me having to put up 3 lots of temporary fencing around all the plants as our rabbit decided they tasted quiet nice. Anyway due to the fences and where they are hanging I cant get to them.

Jacqui

They should be fine, Kristi. THey’re doing what comes naturally. Your Dad is right… IF you don’t have the pupae in a warm or bright room. If they’re in a bright or heated room then they’re going to think it’s a bright, warm day and a good time to emerge. So keep them cool and in dull light. They need to know it’s wet outside without getting wet (of course).

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.