Newbie in this

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raisingstripes 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

raisingstripes
    Participant

Hello everyone, I’m a newbie at raising monarch and at the moment am having a hard time of it. I work In a preschool with a largbusway bush but all the leaves have been eaten! so I thought I’ll help them and went to a near by nursery and bought 4 more small bushes for my house. i took some cats to my bushes and they have been vomiting. Some have died after spreading my bushes! 😛 I am now attempting to grow my own after reading about poisoin. How long does the poison last

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies

raisingstripes
    Participant

Hi Josh! I’m near ttp but work in the hills. Where abouts are you? Have you got any seeds for the larger milkweed? Jill got me some and the leaves are thicker and bigger than the swan bush, meaning they last longer. Do swan plants die off in winter?

Josh652
    Participant

I live in Adelaide as well!!! My large swan plant just died off but one of my small plants is flowering ATM maybe when I have some seed I can give you some?? Where a outs are you??

raisingstripes
    Participant

We’ve got enough leaves to last over the week end. A lot of the caterpillars are very near the crysalis stage so hopefully we won’t need lots more. Your friend was great, she even brought her portable butterfly house to show the preschool. The kids were all very amaze by it.

About my adopted caterpillars; 1 medium one is not looking very good. It’s still crawling and eating. Should I a.kill it
    b. move it to a sick bay and feed with new leaves
    C. Leave it on the bush it is on
    I also have 2 big ones eating away on another bush and they seem fine. The bush is from the same lot. I hope they make it. An earlier one have turned into a crysalis. Now there’s thin black lines on it. Is that normal? It’s eaten some poison leaves but not much. I got it 1 day before it pupate.

raisingstripes
    Participant

Thank Jacquie! I’ve contacted her and hopefully the caterpillars will still be there tomorrow as I put some pumpkin out. Some are still on the bush munching stems. I’ll post the outcome.
    The ones I’ve adopted are not doing well and I’ve called up the nursery to tell them about their poison plants and to put a warning next time. I made sure I was very graphic in my description to let them know my caterpillars suffered. He did admit the supplier has done this before but had clean up their act. Last time they poison all the cats in a butterfly garden or lab ( can’t remember which) .

Jacqui

A friend in Adelaide has offered you help – please see the email sent privately. Let’s know how you get on.

Jacqui

raisingstripes
    Participant

Sorry I meant large swan bush. I’m in south Australia. I have one in the school and 2 small ones from the seeds but they have been stripped bare by the cats. A very prolific season! They have left the bush and crawling all over looking for more food.

In the mean time my bushes are covered in cat vomit. Should I cut off the leaves with vomit or wash with bleach? There are still some cats on there. I’m afraid ill make the situation worse if I wash the vomit now while some cats are still on the bush.

Jacqui

Hello Raisingstripes

What is a “largbusway” bush? Don’t know this…

Whereabouts are you? It could be possible to plant swan plant seeds, but depends on what zone you’re in (climatic zone). There may be someone in your area who could help provide more plants. You could try the local schools, they sometimes raise Monarchs. Most schools I visit have at least one plant.

Hope that helps.

Jacqui

raisingstripes
    Participant

Would be possible to plant swan bush seeds now since it is coming to winter? It is very discouraging:(

in the meantime, the cats at my preschool and abandoning the plant as there are no more food for them 🙁 it’s never been such overcrowded before.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.