New garden

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dane Keriboi Hawker 3 years ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Anonymous

I would like to start a butterfly garden using seeds bought from this site. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

Yeah I will do a few cosmos and Mexican sunflowers

Jacqui

Dane, cosmos is another great annual.

Dane Keriboi Hawker
    Participant

I am moving into a new place soon and will be doing a massive garden. Going to do many hebes especially hebe speciosa as the butterflies love them at work. Will do zinnias as well as they were really good last summer.

Anonymous

We have bought our first house and I will be starting up 2 new gardens from lawn. I plan to start from seed and things I have experience with, echinacea, swan plants, allysum, easy to access wildflowers. Over time I will be planting more perennials and shrubs as finances allow. I have found this site and am keen to use seed from here where appropriate. I would love any advice and/or tips with design, I will be focusing one garden on wildlife, bees and butterflies. I am open to using nettles but will need to be very careful as we have a toddler. Good in a hanging pot apparently? I would love to do the course, but it will need to be later.

Thanks, and have a great day.

Jacqui

Another thought: We have a Create Butterfly Habitat Course starting on 1 September. We get excellent feedback from the people who have completed it, so you might like to think about doing that. More information here:

Butterfly Gardening/Habitat Course

Jacqui

Hi Michele

What sort of tips would you like? What sort of butterflies do you hope to attract? How big is your garden?

If you can be a little bit more specific as to the information you require it would help us. Also, the tips you need for a garden in Southland will differ to what you need to know for plantings in the Far North, so if you could tell us which climatic zone you are in it will be helpful.

Asclepias incarnata is more suitable for planting in frosty, cooler areas. A. curassavica for semit-tropical areas.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.