Need response to letter in Lifestyle Block mag re: stinging nettle

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  BlueSkyBee 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

Reading my newest issue of this mag, I came across the following letter to the editor regarding stinging nettle:

“How do we get rid of this?”

We have recently bought a property at Little River on Banks Peninsula that has patches of stinging nettle. We would like to know what product you recommend that will get rid of the stinging nettle quickly, not seep through the ground killing other things that we want to keep, and not damage the nearby stream.

Answer from Editor.

“It’s pretty difficult to find a product that will fulfill all those criteria and there may be other options that appeal to you more.

Glyphosate is the only spray that claims not to seep into soil or damage waterways and it is effective (with repeated sprayings) if you have a large area dominated bynettles, however it will kill anything else that it comes into contact with, for example pasture plants or trees. You will also need to wait at least 3 weeks for the nettles to die down, and then respray any regrowth.

Stinging nettles are actually a high protein fodder if cut before flowering and then thoroughly dried. However if it is not useful to cut it down, then getting adult cattle to trample it down (www.gardeningorganic.org.uk recommends putting salt licks throughout an area of nettle so cattle are encouraged to walk through it) can assist in wiping it out. Other options are mowing it off while at the seedling stage (you need to do this several times) and/or repeatedly hoeing it which exhausts the rootstock, especially at the seedling stage in spring and autumn. For rouge plants, dig them out using a fork – you might want to make sure you get as much of the rhizome (its root mass) as possible.”

This struck me as a perfect opportunity to reply to this, and to give some information about the plight of the  Admirals, the loss of their habitat etc. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a reply, as people on here know a lot more about stinging nettle and Admirals than I…

Or perhaps a reply could be sent officially from the MBNZT along those lines?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

Um no scanner, I can cut  out the page  and send it to you fastpost! lol 🙂

Jacqui

Happy to write a letter on behalf of the MBNZT – is it possible for you to scan the letter and also send me the contact details?

Jacqui

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

Excellent point Norm, probably the best outcome is re-homing if possible… Wish they were near me!!

NormTwigge
    Participant

This is also an ideal opportunity for anyone in that area wanting some nettles.  Banks Peninsula is a well known srtonghold for Red Admirals, and there are quite likely some  larvae on the nettles also.

Errol
    Participant

And perhaps it might be a good idea to have someone with authority to make a reply to the article, with regard to keeping at least some area/s of nettle for the admirals to breed on.

Jacqui could that be you (on behalf of the MBNZT), or someone you know of  importance (ie a speaker from the recent conference)?

Errol
    Participant

Perhaps ask them to keep even a single patch in some unusable area of land, such as in a deep gully etc. And remind them that butterflies all over the world, (especially in NZ) are going extinct from loss of their habitat.  Good luck.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.