Native bushes/trees

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Darren 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Jean Stanley
    Participant

Can anyone tell me what native bushes/trees are a source of food for monarchs. Living in a bush settlement no one has a flower garden but I could suggest natives be planted.

Genie

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Darren
    Participant

I just got home from Mitre10, and I did a double-take when I saw a large banner with a monarch on it. It turns out it was promoting Naturally Native (http://naturallynative.co.nz ) and their new advertising campaign, Hebes are winners. Buy a hebe and go into a draw to win $250 of native plants.

Is it ironic that they use a Monarch to promote natives?

Jean Stanley
    Participant

Thank you for your answer. I would never have thought of the larger trees you mentioned and we have masses of those but hebes would be great on small sections. I now realise there is probably more feed around than I thought. Genie

Jacqui

Hebes and manuka are two useful ones, Jean.

Jane
    Participant

Hi Jean,

There are many native nectar plants among the large trees such as Rewarewa, Kamahi, Manuka, but if it is shrubs you are after it is very hard to beat the Hebes because they come in such a variety of form, size, flower colour and flowering seasons. Hebes would be my pick if it is natives you are after. If you are coastal there are many hebe to suit, plus pimelea. The coprosmas also have very inconspicuous flowers, but they are high in nectar. Other members will have many good suggestions too hopefully.

Jane

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.