Mrs Monarch is back!!

This topic contains 29 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Charlotte 10 years ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi All,

Just wanted to share with you that we have EGGS on our plants.

I collected over 45 leaves with eggs on today.

Do hope these come to something.

Is this early?

Char

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Lepid,

We collect them at egg stage as I have seen a few wasps about searching the plants, and I want to get as many as possible through for the first SPRING pillars.
    We lost so many pillars and eggs last year to the wasps and ants that this year I am saving as many as we can!!

We keep the eggs on the leaves and put them into a plastic container with a damp paper towel underneath them to keep them damp and so the leaf doesn’t curl up. We then spray the leaves each day and wait for the pillar to hatch;-)
    Once hatched we move them into another plastic container with fresh leaves until a bit bigger and then move onto a plant which we keep in our glass butterfly house.
    In here they can safely pupate and hatch.

If we find the leaves with the eggs curl up, then we gently roll the egg off the leaf and put into a plastic container and watch until we see the pillars head start to show, and then we put a few leaves in with the pillars to much on.

Hope this helps you Lepid.

Cheers
    Char

Lepidopteranos
    Participant

Why do you collect them at egg stage? Is there a severe predator problem even at caterpillar level?

I won’t pretend otherwise (just caught a spider eating an admiral cat the other day, yecchh!), OK so what do you do with the eggs? I presume they are all attached to leaves, do you have some sort of indoor rearing facility?

rachael mabbott
    Participant

Hi! We had our first butterfly lay eggs today! Alot earlier than last year!! Te Awamutu. (south of hamilton).

Charlotte
    Participant

Yes still selling plants at Oratia on the 12th Sept and 26th Sept.
    May see you there then.

Char

Anonymous

They are getting busy here too. Earlier than last year, for me, but I think I got my first plants a bit later.
    You still selling at Oratia market, Char?
    Might come out and buy some plants next weekend.

Charlotte
    Participant

Well I have checked again and gathered another 115 eggs last night from of all of our plants. Mrs Monarch had laid on every single plant we have outside!
    Hope this will be a bumper season;-)). Was hoping to have a longer est before we had to start up again. But oh well that mother nature for you;-)).

My 30 I collected a week ago are growing nicely, some are getting bigger by the day.

Cheers
    Char

Darren
    Participant

The asian paper moth is attracted to protein in the first part of the season, and sweet stuff later. Also with a protein bait you are more likely to get a queen, which is much more effective then knocking off the endless streams of ordinary wasps later.

I figured it is when they are foraging for protein that they are preying on the caterpillars, so it is the protein bait we should be using. But I am very new at this and still learning.

Jacqui

Some wasps are attracted to protein baits (e.g. sardines, meat – the smellier the better) while others are attracted to sweet things. Some wasps change their preference at different times of the year/season. A trap that had both baits might work?

Also – not ALL wasps are a pest/predator for butterflies. We don’t want to catch the wrong sort of wasp OR bees.

Just a couple of thoughts from me.

Somewhere I found a picture of an American trap that had both attactants.

Darren
    Participant

I thought you might mean the homemade wasp traps made from cocacola bottles. When I was a kid my dad used to put those around his beehives to get wasps. Good instructions here
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Wasp-Trap

Some schools in Hamilton did some research and found they got the best results from either Jam, brown sugar, or sardine cat food. http://www.exscite.org.nz/membership/wasps/make/

I’ve also seen beer mentioned on other sites (they usually suspect the yeast is the attractant). I suppose they couldn’t really test that at a school.

If you want to get fancier there is the spurr wasp trap
    http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/research/biocons/invertebrates/idsurveillance/spurr_wasp_trap.asp

I tried making the simple coke bottle ones with the children at my centre but we didn’t have much success. Following that experience I had an idea for a trap combining the best elements of both, but by then it was too late to try it. If the wasps are starting again I’d better get cracking and test my new design. I’ll post details to the forum if it is successful.

Charlotte
    Participant

I am not sure Jacqui!! I read or heard it somewhere that coca cola is suppose to work. Not sure how but I guess worth a try.

So I shall try some coke in a bottle if I see anymore around.
    Will keep you posted;-))

Char

Jacqui

What’s the Coca Cola method? Please share!

Charlotte
    Participant

What an awesome poem Swansong. I love it;-))

We have had Mrs Monarch here again today laying more eggs.
    I will have to rescue them as spotted an asian paper wasp on a swan plant this morning. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.
    I am going to try the coca cola method and see.

Char

Jacqui

Hey Swansong! Wonderful. 🙂 It sure is a lovely sight to see. Not here today, I’m afraid. It’s cold, bleak, grey, windy… Did I say “WINDY”? Phew. A great day to be indoors, or in a sheltered possie if you HAVE to be outdoors.

Swansong
    Participant

This my final chrysalis
    Has just emerged today
    But lately when its warm like this
    A Monarch comes this way

My seasons done but the new has come
    An old one flying by
    To start the season its begun
    From this faded butterfly

Battered, worn and wings are torn
    still graceful in the sky
    Its a lovely sight to see
    A Monarch gliding by

Swansong

Swansong
    Participant

Wow, eggs, and we arent even at the end of winter….and I still havent finished from last season yet. I still have 2 chrysalis’ to go and theyre colouring up now. Mmmm havent had a chance to check our plants. I Wonder if theyve got eggs.

Jane
    Participant

Ah yes Swansong…that was BEFORE the ‘hurricane’ hit!!! No sign of any butterflies now…and yeah they prob ARE on Wharite peak by now…LOL…but the eggs are here : )

Swansong
    Participant

Youre kidding me Blutterfy???? in this wind we’ve been having the last 2 days its a wonder she didnt end up on Wharite : /.
    I saw a very faded battered butterfly flitting around here a few (4???)days ago.

Jane
    Participant

Palmerston North. Eggs!!! Yeeehhh! First female egglaying yesterday. She was somewhat faded and a little battered, but there are now eggs everywhere : )

Charlotte
    Participant

LOL thanks. Already played;-))

Jacqui

Char you are a VERY GOOD GIRL. You are allowed to play Farmville for an extra HOUR tonight!

Charlotte
    Participant

Already done Jacqui;-))

Char

Jacqui

Hi folks

Darren’s idea is great, but if you can log these in to http://www.mb.org.nz, then they will immediately go into the database. Put in the comments slot “egglaying” please – and you can wind the date back to when you first saw them.

Thanks.

Today spotted my first female laying this season. It such a beautiful day in Auckland.

Charlotte
    Participant

Hi Zoe & DarrenG,

Oh glad you have eggs as well. Yes I am removing mine and keeping them safe from the horrible wasps. Not seen any wasps as yet.
    I have been told that coke works. So may give this a try.

Darren a good idea. So I will start the ball rolling and lets see what happens;-)).

Massey West Auckland. Beautiful female Monarch laying her eggs here today.
    Not sure if she is the same one, but SHE is very IMPRESSIVE!!

Char

zoe9
    Participant

I’m in Auckland and also have newly laid eggs. Unfortunately though the wasps are also back.

Yesterday was mild and sunny and when I went to check the post I was surprised and dismayed to see a half dozen paper wasps hovering around my plants, both the black & yellow and reddish/brown types.

Quite unusual for so many to suddenly appear. If I didn’t know better I’d think they planned their simultaneous appearance for maximum impact. I normally don’t see them till later in September so this was an unwelcome sight and I will be moving the eggs undercover today just in case…..

Viewing 25 replies - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.