monarchs with badly creased wings

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

les
    Participant

I live in Timaru & now have my 3rd good-sized monarch butterfly with wing problems. The butterflies have wings that stay permanently creased & crumpled, or that never unfold. I’ve noticed that the chrysalis of these ones opens a fraction then nothing happens for quite a while. When the butterfly does emerge it’s very slowly & appears to have problems becoming fully emerged. I wonder if it is the slowness of the emergence process that causes this, that the wings are partially drying while still in the chrysalis. Others have emerged easily & have wings that are straight. Does anyone else either have this problem or know why it happens?

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hello Les

If you look around the forum and especially at older posts – or search the hot tags for things like disease, chrysalis etc – you’ll find other people have reported problems such as this in the past.

My suspicion would be that you have a build up of a disease like Oe, and that the butterflies are too weak when they are emerging.

There are plenty of references to Oe from previous posts too.

Jacqui

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.