Monarchs doing their thing

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  LeslieD 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Creator
    Topic

monkey
    Participant

There have been up to 4 Monarchs visiting my garden at any given time of the day ever since early December, & at last I am finding caterpillars & eggs on the swan plants. Some of the cats are at the 5th instar, so I’m not sure where they have been hiding!
    The big ones I am bringing inside, also some of the eggs.
    The swan plants in my netted area are now starting to poke through the top of the netting, & the butterflies are obviously finding them as there are eggs there. Perhaps the season tho late, is starting to get under way………… Let’s hope so. I do notice that some of the female butterflies are penetrating deep into the plant to lay, also tending to lay deep into the flower buds; probably safer from wasps there

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies

LeslieD
    Participant

That’s great news 🙂 its all happening here in Karori too .. I caught a female in the hothouse laying on my spare stash of plants today. So I’ve got busy and netted them. The cat population is growing again after the first generation boom.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.