Monarchs are breeding already!!!

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  monkey 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Creator
    Topic

monkey
    Participant

Several days ago on a cold morning, I found a large female Monarch on my garden path, looking somewhat the worse for wear. I took it inside & warmed it with my hands & gave it some sugary water, then put it out on a swan plant in a sunny spot. After a couple of hours it was gone. Then yesterday I found 6 eggs on the plant, so I have them inside to try to raise them. Not sure if they came from the Monarch I helped, or another one. Whichever, the end of August does seem to be a trifle early in Hamilton! However I have seen quite a few Monarchs in our garden & elsewhere over the last week or so.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

monkey
    Participant

Lots of eggs, all obviously being predated. I’m taking in a few, allowing for how much feed I’m likely to have. So far I have 3 chrysalids with coloured wings starting to show – these were from eggs taken in on 31 August. Also have 5 js today with 3 more ‘fatties’ close behind, & a few tiny cats coming on. This in Hamilton

scootercat
    Participant

Seen in Dunedin – yesterday a faded, slightly tatty female was laying on my swan plants. We did see one a couple of weeks ago flying around. This is the earliest I have ever seen any, as well as the latest they were around at the beginning of last winter. Hopefully a good season to come!

Jacqui

Yes, reports are from all over the country – even from DUNEDIN!!!! that there are monarchs about laying eggs.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.