Monarch with deformed wing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Maggie
    Participant

One of my monarchs was born yesterday and I noticed this morning one of it’s wings is still curled up. What do I do please?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Hi Maggie

If you check out the hot tags to the right of this post and click on wings and disease you’ll find lots of answers to people who have had this happen in the past.

Jacqui

Knightfamily
    Participant

As far as I know there’s no way to straighten out that wing. I’ve seen that happen many times over the years and have attempted to intervene if I saw it happening, as I can tell when they emerge if they are having problems. I did read somewhere that it’s possible to use a ‘donor’ wing from another (dead) butterfly and attach that to your one with the faulty wing, but it sounded like a rather complicated process to me. I’ve observed them living quite happily in my garden in past years with wings like that – as long as they can get to a food source, they can live for quite a while. They just won’t be able to fly.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.