Monarch wandering for days

• Creator
    Topic

mojoraisingnz
    Participant

I have a monarch wandering around my garden looking for a place to make the change but he still hasn’t found somewhere he likes. He spent to cold and rainy nights atop a bamboo stake used for climbing Nasturtium but then decided to abandon that idea and has been wandering ever since. Day 3 since he left his siblings on the swan plant and he’s still no closer to choosing a spot to stop. I have tried offering him timber, fencing, plant pots etc while keeping my distance and have not touched him but I worry he may never choose somewhere a be eaten or starve. How long do I wait before putting him back on the swan plant.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

mojoraisingnz
    Participant

Thank you so much. Bringing them wasn’t an option but he’s ok. He made his own way back to the swan plant and cocooned there. His sibling didn’t even leave the plant before making his J shape on the same plant. We have the other smaller ones on another plant close by. I will just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don’t go over and bother the 2 pupating ones.

LeslieD
    Participant

if he is a large caterpillar and looking for a place to pupate then no point putting him back on your outdoor plant. If you can bring him inside on a plant or cuttings from a plant her will have a better chance. He is probably looking for a sheltered dry and probably warm place to pupate.
    I have caterpillar castles which are net enclosures that are ideal for such a job. All my surviving caterpillars are in one inside by a window with the best light.

mojoraisingnz
    Participant

Sorry if I’ve posted in the wrong place. I just don’t want to do the wrong thing and hurt my baby butterfly.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.