Monarch health

• This topic is empty.
  • Creator
    Topic

Jacqui

A friend in the US has just drawn this website to our attention:

http://www.monarchparasites.org/

It’s excellent for learning more about our Monarchs. While some of the things I don’t do (gloves and sterilisation, for example, and removal of all pests on my milkweed) there are some excellent points to pick up on.

Cheers

Jacqui

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Things like that are sure worth a try.

J.

Shaun
    Participant

It’s a chemical compound used for the control of certain protozoans. I’ve used it in the past for treating conditions in tropical fish such as Hexamita (I used to be a professional fish breeder). It’s sold under the brand name Flagyl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagyl

I was wondering if it could be sprayed onto the swan plant leaves so that the caterpillars ingested it as, during that stage of O.e.’s life cycle it’s all inside the monarch rather than being present as exterior spores as it is on adults. I’d hoped that this could result in O.E. free monarchs. However, Chip Taylor told me that they’d not had any luck with it. Oh well, at least it shows I was on the right track if they’d tried the same thing. 🙂

Jacqui

What is Metronidazole, Shaun?

Shaun
    Participant

I guess I should have posted that URL myself. I discovered it a while back and have actually been in email contact with Chip Taylor (he’s credited with some of the pics in the O.e. section) to discuss an idea I had about using Metronidazole to control O.e. in monarch populations. LOL, seems that they’ve tried it, but to try to control another protozoan parasite that infects monarchs, Nosema. It didn’t work. 🙁

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.