Monarch Health 2013 Monitoring Kits

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pepetuna 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Darren
    Participant

MonarchHealth is a project in which volunteers sample wild monarch butterflies to help track the spread of a protozoan parasite Ophryocystis elektroscirrha (OE).

Their mission is to achieve a broader understanding of host-parasite interactions in monarch butterflies and to enhance awareness of monarch biology and conservation through the coupling of citizens and scientists.

The time has come for them to start sending out sampling kits for the MonarchHealth 2013 monitoring season. If you are new to MonarchHealth, they would be more than happy to send you a MonarchHealth sampling kit with detailed instructions.

If you would like to participate, please email them, indicating your interest and your mailing address, and they will send you a free MonarchHealth monitoring kit.

Jennifer Kukharchuk
    Monarch Health
    Odum School of Ecology
    University of Georgia
    Athens, GA 30602
    (706) 542-3485
    MonarchHealth@gmail.com
    http://www.monarchparasites.org

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Pepetuna
    Participant

Thanks Darren. Yes Monarch Health have confirmed they are interested in NZ data. Here’s their response to my query:

Hi Kate,

Thank you! We’d love to get data from New Zealand! We just need addresses from people interested, and we will send out kits in April.

Jennifer Kukharchuk
    & Team Monarch Health

Darren
    Participant

Yes they send kits to NZ, I have had them before. They prefer ‘wild’ monarchs to raised ones. Our southern hemisphere season is out of synch with theirs, but I queried if that was a problem before I got the first kit and they didn’t think it was a problem.

Pepetuna
    Participant

The reports from 2006 to 2010 make interesting reading. What is the proportion of infected Monarchs here? Does anyone know? And does it vary depending on time of year here too?

BlueSkyBee
    Participant

I think they will send the kits anywhere…

One of the criteria is raising each cat separately, isn’t it? That’s possibly my only hesitation.

They are in the beginning of their Monarch season there, and we are winding down.

Pepetuna
    Participant

Is this for anywhere in the world Darren? or just North America?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.