Monarch eggs

Tagged: ,

• Creator
    Topic

monkey
    Participant

Last year, somewhere on this site there were instructions on how to raise caterpillars from eggs, involving cutting the leaves they are on to the size of a shirt button & so on.
    I found this info just so useful last year, I raised dozens & have raised quite a few this year. I wonder if this info could be brought to the fore again, for the benefit of others? I can’t locate it at the moment……….
    Also the use of Milton to keep the little beasties & their environs safe & healthy?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies

kiwiwolf
    Participant

I have lot’s of milkweed and see quite a few Monarchs aroud but can’t find any egg on the plants

monkey
    Participant

Thanks Jacqui. Not quite the ones I was thinking about but useful nevertheless.
    The instructions I found last year involved cutting the leaf down to the size of a shirt button & placing this on a damp paper towel in a takeaway food box. Then when frass showed that the cat had hatched, placing the small piece on a sprig of milkweed for the cat to eat until it was large enough to transfer.
    I just found it so helpful when the eggs were disappearing due to predation by wasps, lady bugs ants etc & I thought others might too.
    In the early part of the season I keep the cats inside right through to eclosing, until the main danger of predation is over. I just move them on to bigger & bigger containers, lined with paper towels to change daily, & frequently giving the boxes the Milton treatment

Jacqui

Are those the posts you wanted, Di?

Jacqui
Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.