monarch depositing eggs

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Chrisalis 4 years, 11 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

Black Robin
    Participant

This morning around 9-00 a rathe faded female monarch visited our garden and spent some time feeding on early flowering evergreen clematis and perennial wallflower. At 12-00 noon we saw her visiting a pruned swan plant and when we examined it later, counted at least 6 eggs deposited. Each egg was cleverly deposited on or extremely close to a freshly sprouting small clump of new shooting leaves. I will have to keep a close watch as there is not enough food at present on this swan plant to keep them going. However we have another larger swan plant on our property that was not pruned so I will be able to transfer the caterpillars once they are big enough. I suspect there are more eggs on this plant as well but have not examined it yet. Lets hope the wasps do not return as quick!!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Chrisalis
    Participant

She got trapped in my porch today. Very lucky I happened to be home at the time.

I haven’t seen any cats that I brought inside yesterday. They will be there, but they are only one or two days old and will be hard for me to see.

Chrisalis
    Participant

In Katikati.

Lots of wasps around, so today I brought cats and eggs inside to give the local monarchs a head start for the season.

The sole female laying today seemed to be quite comfortable visiting whatever plants I was near and spent a lot of time within easy reach. I wondered if she was of the many that took a ride outside on my finger.

TgaLiz
    Participant

After that huge storm yesterday and a 3C overnight, here in Tauranga we have a clear sunny day with a blustery wind. To my surprise I have just seen a very large Monarch female depositing eggs on my swan plant in it’s sheltered corner of my house. She is now basking in the sun on the concrete wall enjoying the heat. After surviving last night she deserves it!

Jacqui

In Kaitaia two weeks ago there were eggs and caterpillars but that didn’t surprise me. And when I got home to Auckland I found eggs on some of my newer growth but my old plants that I’d pruned hadn’t started sprouting.

I hope to find caterpillars when I get home in a few weeks. Currently in Christchurch and hope to organise a wee gathering… will advise via the forum if I can organise anything.

Miranda
    Participant

I’m in Auckland and I have a bunch of eggs now. As of last night about half a dozen had hatched. I’ve got them inside at this point because I want as many as possible to survive. I noticed on Sunday (when we had a beautiful day up here) that there are a lot of wasps around too.

Caryl
    Participant

Barry if you read the other posts you will find out where Black Robin and myself are. She is in Tauranga and me in Wellington. Have you seen any monarchs in the past few weeks?

Barry
    Participant

I would like to know in which district some of these messages are coming from as the season’s weather treats butterflies differently. Barry P. Christchurch.

Caryl
    Participant

Black Robin, Call me crazy but yesterday I stood outside and called to the monarchs to come visit as I’d seen none even after having some nice spring days. I promised them I’d have plants for the whole season and that I would nurture future generations. And today a monarch visited and I have eggs! I screamed with pleasure and now I’m off to get some more seedlings and one metre plants if I can find them.

Black Robin
    Participant

Yes, I think it is exiting too Caryl, I live in Tauranga and we have had a very good Winter here. Not many days without the occasional monarch visiting. Good luck with your seeds!!

Caryl
    Participant

Exciting Black Robin, where are you? I keep looking at my swan plants but no eggs yet. 2012 I had them mid August. I live in Wellington.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.