Monarch Chrysalis Question, plus can they metamorphosize in earlier instars

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  rob cooper 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

olivia95
    Participant

Okay, so the other day, one of my caterpillars got into the J’ing position underneath one of my planter pots. But then I noticed it had fallen, so I brought it inside and made a makeshift habitat out of a planting pot and tissue paper. And I stuck the end of the caterpillar to a Q tip and then taped the Q tip to the side of the pot and it continued to hand in a J position. Well, a little later, I noticed that it’s chrysalis was starting to form. The chrysalis is totally wrapped around the caterpillar but it doesn’t look right to me. It seems to have some sort of gaping open flap in the front. You can’t see the caterpillar inside the gap, just more of the green chrysalis. Also, the old skin is still stuck to the top of it and it hasn’t shaken it off yet. It’s been that way all day now and I see no movement. I am pretty sure it is dead but i don’t want to move it incase I’m wrong.i wish I could include the picture I took.

Also, this caterpillar seems a lot tinier than the caterpillar’s I had last year. It looks like only a 4th instar. Can a caterpillar change in an earlier form? Thank you in advance! I’m just not sure what to do and thought I would ask more experienced people.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies

rob cooper
    Participant

it doesnt mater if the skin doesnt fall off

rob cooper
    Participant

yes jaqui said a wait and see thing good luck

olivia95
    Participant

Okay, update. I thought my caterpillar might be dead inside the chrysalis but I don’t think so anymore. The old caterpillar skin has seemed to fall away and also, the chrysalis seems to have hardened. I’m really not sure what to expect and if it does make it, I am hoping it is not deformed or injured in any way. I will keep everyone updated!!

olivia95
    Participant

Okay, I feared that might be the case. My other caterpillars have pupated successfully. Each chrysalis looks perfect. It’s just this one and I’m wondering if it must have been harmed by falling while J’ing. I feel so bad, I wish I could have done more and hope I didn’t harm it myself unintentionally. Thank you for your kind words… And I will do as you say and keep an eye on it and hope for the best!

Thanks again!!

Jacqui

Doesn’t sound like this one will make it, Olivia. But remember: where you have living things, you will also have dying things. Not every caterpillar is destined to become a beautiful monarch butterfly.

Yes, sometimes if they’re sick or have a lack of food etc, they will pupate early.

No harm in leaving the chrysalis where it is and watching it for the next couple of weeks. They sometimes surprise us!

Jacqui

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.