Monarch caterpillars eating contaminated swan plant

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jacqui 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

leanned
    Participant

I unwittingly bought some swan plants yesterday which had been sprayed for whitefly. Several of them became unwell but perked up once back onto new plants. Will this have affected their chances of becoming healthy butterflies?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies

Jacqui

Excellent Leanne! Thanks for the update.

leanned
    Participant

Hi all this is my first time rearing Monarchs and I posted recently how I unwittingly put around fifty caterpillars on a swan plant which had been sprayed. Well they all hatched fine and well bar one who was missing a leg and had slightly crinkled wings so she is now our wee pet. I have ninety chrysalis with fifteen still to hatch, around six did not hatch successfully, but overall am pretty pleased. Interestingly I had at least twenty females hatch before any males. I have discovered they love watermelon juice and apricot nectar mixed with a little sugar water should I need to feed them. I am in Timaru, and already have monarchs looking to come back to lay. I will miss then once they are gone. This website has been a great source of information so thank you to all concerned

Jacqui

Hi Leanne – it’s hard to know for sure until they become butterflies. There’s a terrible story on here somewhere about caterpillars which ate contaminated milkweed and looked fine until the butterflies emerged…

Good luck!

Jacqui

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.