Monarch butterfly with bent wings

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  notsotypicalblonde 6 years, 9 months ago.

• Creator
    Topic

playinglife
    Participant

Hi,

4 days ago I found a Monarch butterfly. I did some reading on the internet and found out some amazing stuff about them. It was my first contact with the butterflies.

She had her wings bent and I was wondering if I could help her in any way.

For now she just hangs on a flower in the kitchen and I feed her orange juice with honey, water mellon and banana.

Can a monarch butterfly fly with only half of the back wings? Top half of the height of the wing (looking from top).

I was thinking that if I cut off the bent part she might fly. The front wings are bent too but   not as much as the back ones.

Thanx

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies

notsotypicalblonde
    Participant

I had this issue with a butterfly I raised last year (broke my heart!) and after a bit of reading believe she was probably infected with “oe” . Have a look for info about it online.  It isnt good to let them go on to continue breeding if infected I believe.

Katrina 🙂

Jacqui

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

You can trim off a portion of the wings and they will still fly – I’m estimating as much as 40% – without affecting their flight. It’s important, though, to trim off the same on each wing, so I hold the wings together so that with the scissors I can trim both forewings at the same time.

Let’s hope that it helps!

Jacqui

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.